Thread: Bersa CC, lots of problems

Bersa CC, lots of problems

Hello, I recently bought a Bersa Thunder .380 CC model, and have been having a lot of problems with it. Upon the initial use, I got about 6 failure to feed jams in 100 rounds.

The Bersachat forum was really helpful and at their suggestion I cleaned the gun and magazine thoroughly and bought some different brands of ammo.

After two mags of federal I only one jam. I switched to magtech and the first six magazines were fine. However, I started having bigger problems. At first, after loading a magazine and racking the slide, the hammer would not automatically cock, and if I tried to do it manually, it would not. It felt like there was an obstruction preventing it from cocking back. If you shot it in Double Action mode at that point, the hammer would stay back for each subsequent shot. After a couple of magazines of shooting like this, the slide because increasingly difficult to rack. Finally, the trigger stopped working at all. At this point, if you pull the trigger in single action mode, the hammer falls but does not fire the cartridge (no primer strike on cartridge). If in double action mode, when you pull the trigger, nothing happens, but it feels gritty.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ifman View Post
    Hello, I recently bought a Bersa Thunder .380 CC model, and have been having a lot of problems with it. Upon the initial use, I got about 6 failure to feed jams in 100 rounds.

The Bersachat forum was really helpful and at their suggestion I cleaned the gun and magazine thoroughly and bought some different brands of ammo.

After two mags of federal I only one jam. I switched to magtech and the first six magazines were fine. However, I started having bigger problems. At first, after loading a magazine and racking the slide, the hammer would not automatically cock, and if I tried to do it manually, it would not. It felt like there was an obstruction preventing it from cocking back. If you shot it in Double Action mode at that point, the hammer would stay back for each subsequent shot. After a couple of magazines of shooting like this, the slide because increasingly difficult to rack. Finally, the trigger stopped working at all. At this point, if you pull the trigger in single action mode, the hammer falls but does not fire the cartridge (no primer strike on cartridge). If in double action mode, when you pull the trigger, nothing happens, but it feels gritty.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Hello, ifman and welcome.
    I would check the grip panel screws and verify that they are not too tight, especially the right side. The grip panel screw should be snug but not overly tight. If the right grip panel screw it too tight on the standard Thunder model, it can cause problems with the action. If this is not the case, I would contact one of the warranty service centers for further assistance. Good luck to you and I'm sorry that you're having troubles.

Thanks.

Is it true that Bersa won't reimburse for warranty shipping? My gun was one day old when it began having problems... It's frustrating that I have to pay for that.

I do appreciate the help though... I'll check the grip screws tomorrow.

Hm... things get worse. I went ahead and loosened the screws, and after verifying I was empty attempted to dry fire, and still did not hear the click. I removed the grip plates and looked closer, and saw that the spring that runs along side the magazine did not always move when the trigger was pulled. After a few tries with the grips off it dry fired successfully... I tried a few more times and about 50% of the time it did, the other times the spring did not move. I engaged the safety and attempted a dry fire, and sure enough, what I saw pulling the trigger with the manual safety on was the same as what I saw when pulling the trigger and failing to hear the click.

I removed the slide to get a closer look, but really didn't see anything. I'm not gun expert, but I know how to field strip and clean them. Now, I cannot get the slide back on. It may be me, being late and frustrated, but I have successfully stripped and cleaned the Bersa twice, and stripped it 2-3 other times just for investigative purposes, and haven't had this problem yet. I put the slide back on and tilted slightly up, but am unable to get it to fall back into the grooves on the back of the slide.

Like I said, maybe it's me, but if anyone has any suggestions for this I appreciate it.

Sorry to complain so much in my first 3 posts. I have wanted a Bersa Thunder .380 for a long time, I love the look of it and was ecstatic the day I purchased it. Each time something new goes wrong with it I get a little more frustrated and a little bit more ready to start looking at other deep concealment options.

Thank you.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Not getting the slide back on is probably due to the disconnect bar moving out away from the frame. It will sometimes do this when you pull the trigger while the grips are off or when it's field stripped. It's easy to pop back into place. You may have to jiggle the trigger a little to get it to do so, but just press against the bar & it should snap back tight against the frame.

You should be able to get it back together, but this won't fix your other problems & you may still need to send it in. Your local gun store can ship it for you via regular USPS which will be much cheaper than you shipping it direct. If you bought it from them, they may even ship it for you at no charge as an after the sale service. Just be sure you give them the name & address of the warranty center you select & a note to go with it that details your problems. It wouldn't hurt to call the warranty folks first, discuss the problems & possible fix & get an idea of the turn around time.