Thread: Got my Bersa Thunder .380 back from the shop Tuesday

Got my Bersa Thunder .380 back from the shop Tuesday

The guy behind the counter gave me a free box of Federal ammo for my patience and asked me to call them and let them know if I had any more problems with it jamming and to call them if it was working perfectly too.
    Well, I took it to the range this morning. After four magazines, I was ready to leap in the air and click my heels together. However, on the fifth magazine, it jammed second to the last round. Sixth magazine, no problem. Seventh and eighth, a jam in each. Two more jam-free magazines, then another jam. That's how it went basically, until I was out of ammo.
    After waiting two months to get it back, I'd had such high hopes.
    The gun store doesn't open until 10:00, but I'll be calling them with the bad news.
    What other options do I have, just keep sending it back?
    The gun store says they've sold a LOT of these guns and mine is the only one they've had a problem with. That's why I don't play the lottery, my luck, lol.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Edited to add: Dropped the gun off, they'll ship it out tomorrow. Again. Even if it turned out to be a "lemon" (can't think of any other word), and Bersa were to replace it, I'd have to apply for another permit to purchase since I live in the wonderful, gun-friendly state of NJ.
    Last edited by GrannyG; 08-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Did you happen to notice if it is the same magazine each time the jam occurs? If so, then you found your problem. Solution, get a new mag.

Since fired so good at first. You might be getting tired and limp wristing now and them since seems no real pattern . I have met a couple people that can't shoot a mag in my Bersa with out a jam . Yet I can fire all day long and not one . If you don't shoot a lot I think fatigue from recoil come in to play very quickly . To months with out shooting might be fatigue causing the limp wrist not and then.

Really need some one who shoots a lot to shoot it also
    Last edited by michael t; 08-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

No, it wasn't the same magazine. Wish it was that simple
    I'd wondered about the limp wrist, but my husband watched me and said no, that wasn't the problem. I have a good firm grip. It also jammed on him.
    The problem seems to be a failure to feed, because the empty case is ejecting with no problem. The round is jamming coming into the chamber, with the nose up. I realize I didn't specify in my first post, sorry.
    Thanks, guys for your input.

GrannyG, have you checked the recoil spring to make sure that it is on correctly? The tight end of the spring goes breech. If it is installed incorrectly, it can cause feeding issues. A person can still limp wrist even with a firm grip. The secret is to keep the wrists locked. "Limp wristing" occurs when the muzzle of the pistol flips up when the pistol is fired. The natural reaction of the shooter is to yank the muzzle down. In a blowback pistol, it uses the energy created from firing the pistol to force the slide all the way back and then the recoil spring combined with the remaining energy pull the slide forward and chamber the round. (Picture a dog on a chain running full speed, reaching the end of the chain and being jerked back by the chain and the energy from the full speed run). If the movement of the slide is interrupted (by either the upward muzzle travel or pulling the muzzle down by the shooter), the slide action is not completed properly. You can try shooting the pistol from a rest to eliminate this as the cause. Good luck to you, GrannyG.

New Bersa .380

Quote Originally Posted by Americangirl01 View Post
    GrannyG, have you checked the recoil spring to make sure that it is on correctly? The tight end of the spring goes breech. If it is installed incorrectly, it can cause feeding issues. A person can still limp wrist even with a firm grip. The secret is to keep the wrists locked. "Limp wristing" occurs when the muzzle of the pistol flips up when the pistol is fired. The natural reaction of the shooter is to yank the muzzle down. In a blowback pistol, it uses the energy created from firing the pistol to force the slide all the way back and then the recoil spring combined with the remaining energy pull the slide forward and chamber the round. (Picture a dog on a chain running full speed, reaching the end of the chain and being jerked back by the chain and the energy from the full speed run). If the movement of the slide is interrupted (by either the upward muzzle travel or pulling the muzzle down by the shooter), the slide action is not completed properly. You can try shooting the pistol from a rest to eliminate this as the cause. Good luck to you, GrannyG.
    I just took my new .380 out to the range last week. Shot 50 rounds of Herters (Cabela's brand) and a couple of mags of Z-Max (what I'll load it with for CC). I was worried about problems because some of the comments and reviews that I had read indicated people had had feed and eject issues. I had one hangup, a stovepipe, but, with a new pistol and new magazines, I kinda expected at least a couple. All-in-all, I was pretty impressed with accuracy and dependability. My wife tried it and loved it. Before I took it to the range, I gave both the pistol and the mags a thorough cleaning and lube with Safari Charlie. Don't know if that helped, but sure it didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by epeemonger View Post
    I just took my new .380 out to the range last week. Shot 50 rounds of Herters (Cabela's brand) and a couple of mags of Z-Max (what I'll load it with for CC). I was worried about problems because some of the comments and reviews that I had read indicated people had had feed and eject issues. I had one hangup, a stovepipe, but, with a new pistol and new magazines, I kinda expected at least a couple. All-in-all, I was pretty impressed with accuracy and dependability. My wife tried it and loved it. Before I took it to the range, I gave both the pistol and the mags a thorough cleaning and lube with Safari Charlie. Don't know if that helped, but sure it didn't hurt.
    Thank you for the good report, epeemonger and welcome to the forum.