Thread: Bersa 380 jamming issue

Bersa 380 jamming issue

new bersa 380 owner second time out had a jam after only 20 rounds unjammed it an no further problems out of fifty rounds...tried to feed two rounds at one time any ideas?

Just the one jam in 70 rounds? Could be just a break in issue & will go away on it's own, but here are some things you might check.

Some Bersa .380s are ammo picky with most complaints being on Winchester White Box (flat nose) & Sellior&Bellot which seems to have a slight difference in the rim thickness & causes a problem with the extraction. Round nose FMJ ball ammo is recommended with good marks for Federal Champion, Remington UMC & Magtech. Reviews are mixed for PMC, Monarch & Blazer. Steel cased ammo can cause excessive wear.

Small end of the recoil spring should go on the barrel first with the 'cut' on the other end positioned at 12:00. Some of the .380s' have springs with very little difference in the small & large end so it is easy to get it reversed.

Disassemble & clean the magazines, inspecting the follower really close & use a Qtip to check inside the tube for rough spots/burrs. Oil is not recommended, but a dry lube is okay if you wish. Make sure the mag spring is properly positioned with the high point to the front of the mag.

Make sure all the shipping goo is cleaned out of the pistol, especially behind the extractor claw. I don't put oil there because carbon, unburnt powder, etc can accumilate. Hope this is of use to you. You might also join us at a sister forum, Bersa Chat. If you continue to have feed problems, someone there may be able to help.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php

after a couple hundred rounds mine seemed to be just fine, couple of cleanings and lubes at key points seems to shoot like a dream. After 500 rounds very smooth. need to keep it clean and use good ammo and would stake my life on its reliablility. Good carry pistol!!

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum75 View Post
    new bersa 380 owner second time out had a jam after only 20 rounds unjammed it an no further problems out of fifty rounds...tried to feed two rounds at one time any ideas?
    Welcome, beechbum75.
    I agree with mitchr with his list of items to check.
    Hopefully, it is a one time occurence and your experience will be similar to that of JAMES D. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new pistol.

Hey Guys ,
    new to the forum I was having the same problem , I was reading all the threads on the cc and videos ,I took the gun apart and carefully used a very small dremel grinding stone about the size of the stem of the bit , I just took the edge off of the
    extractor and the edge of the side ramp ware the bullet slides up into the barrel ( if you have the main slide off . like when you are cleaning it ) put a couple of rounds in your clip, load the clip and look at the way the bullet sits in and slowly push the bullet towards the barrel as if it was loading, you will see it scraping the left side of the cast on the ramp. I also notice that the barrel opening had a sharp edge out of round to it I grinded the opening at a 30 degree angle .

I put 3 clips full through and wow no jam .(cocking it with the slide over and over )
    I'll test it at the range I'll let ya know.

Alpha ( I LOVE MY Bersa 380 CC ) foot note I have no problems with the 7 round mag form Pro Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hey Guys ,
    new to the forum I was having the same problem , I was reading all the threads on the cc and videos ,I took the gun apart and carefully used a very small dremel grinding stone about the size of the stem of the bit , I just took the edge off of the
    extractor and the edge of the side ramp ware the bullet slides up into the barrel ( if you have the main slide off . like when you are cleaning it ) put a couple of rounds in your clip, load the clip and look at the way the bullet sits in and slowly push the bullet towards the barrel as if it was loading, you will see it scraping the left side of the cast on the ramp. I also notice that the barrel opening had a sharp edge out of round to it I grinded the opening at a 30 degree angle .

I put 3 clips full through and wow no jam .(cocking it with the slide over and over )
    I'll test it at the range I'll let ya know.

Alpha ( I LOVE MY Bersa 380 CC ) foot note I have no problems with the 7 round mag form Pro Mag
    Welcome, Alpha. For what it's worth, grinding on the feed ramp of the .380 models with any hand tool is not recommended. The feed ramp is made of anodized aluminum with a thin protective coating over the aluminum. If you grind through the protective coating and expose the bare aluminum, it can ruin your pistol to the degree that it will no longer feed rounds. Repairs of this nature are not covered by your lifetime service contract, so it is recommended that the feed ramp be left as it is. Very fine sand paper can be used sparingly, but again, not recommended. If a person is experiencing feed issues after break-in, and have eliminated the shooter(s) as the culprit, I recommend taking advantage of the lifetime service contract and sending the pistol to one of the warranty centers, rather than take a chance of voiding the contract by polishing on the feed ramp. I have never had a feeding issue with either of my Thunder 380s with over 12K rounds between two pistols.

I had a similar problem first time out with a new Bersa magazine. Pulled the mag apart and found several small dirt/machining particles in it. cleaned and lubed the mag. Haven't retried it yet, but I'll bet that was the problem. Unloading the bullets from the mag onto a clean white cloth, and I could see particles on some of them.