Thread: Recommendations for Bersa Thunder 22

Arrow Recommendations for Bersa Thunder 22

I have been wanting a Bersa 22 for a long time and I was hoping to get some advice on which one to get. I like all three version available, but I think the all-black one is the nicest looking. However, if the nickel version (which I also like) really has a more durable finish, then that is the one I will probably get.

I would also like advice on any aftermarket parts available, and will probably get either the rubber wraparound grips for it or the wooden walnut ones. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations? Are any other aftermarket grips available for the Thunder 22, or the .380 that will fit it?

Additionally, if I was going to stock up on some factory parts for it, what recommendations do you have for me other than a grip screw and recoil spring?

If you can identify a good source for purchasing one of these, please let me know. Lastly, I would like to pickup some extra magazines for it. Is there a good place to order them from?

I am still hoping to someday have money in my pocket and come across a Bersa Modelo 23.

I am just looking to get as much info as I can before purchasing, since I cannot check one out locally.
    Last edited by Oakheart; 08-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Eagle Imports is the place for parts & recoil springs, grip screws & spare mags should be the only thing you'd need. If anything else needs replacement, best a warranty center does it & that would be covered under the lifetime service agreement.

http://www.bersa.com/

As to finishes, only one bit of info. There is a copper base under the nickle plating on the nickle slide & barrel. Any cleaner/solvent with amonia may get to that copper base & allow the nickle to flake. The silver colored fames are not nickle, but anodized aluminum so no concern in that regard. I don't know if the nickle finish is any tougher for wear than the black matte.

Other than that it's just a matter of personal preference. In my case, I do not care for the nickle slide/barrel because of the limitation of cleaning agents (I like Hoppes #9 Bore Cleaner & it contains amonia), but I like the silver colored frame because it's so much easier to tell when you've got all the dirt, etc out of the nooks & crannies.
    Last edited by mitchr; 08-05-2012 at 02:14 PM.

I'm really having a tough time deciding on the Bersa over the Ruger SR-22, or even the expensive Beretta Cheetah. I want the Bersa, but feel that I will have more support with the Ruger over time. And, the Cheetah, it would be an awesome, but expensive choice. I could get both the Ruger and Bersa for that money.

I already have a .22 revolver and a target .22. This type of gun I want now is to fill a different niche.

Any thoughts?

I have no experience with the SR-22 or Beretta, so can't help you there. My wife has the Bersa .22 & really likes it. When I got my .22 I opted for a GSG1911-22 which handles bulk packed ammo for really cheap range fun. The Bersa .22 prefers high velocity ammo, but some have reported them doing okay with the cheaper rounds once they are well broken in. It is not a long range target pistol but accurate for 15 yards which is the max my wife has tried it.

You may find some SR-22 & Cheetah owners at the Bersa Chat forum.

After getting a BT380 for carry, I got the BT22 so I can shoot a Bersa with more affordable ammo. It's as much fun to shoot as my Sig Sauer 1911 22. I am surprised how accurate it is for a 3" barrel. This one is a keeper!

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 12-30-2012 at 02:02 PM.