Thread: Bersa Thunder Pro .40 - I call it Auto Feeding (Probably wrong term though) problem

Bersa Thunder Pro .40 - I call it Auto Feeding (Probably wrong term though) problem

So when you fire all the rounds out of your current mag your Bersa thunder says, "Hey guy, you have no more rounds and I'm gonna hold this slide back for you so when you throw in your next mag (with rounds) it will automatically allow the slide to go forward and chamber a round without you doing anything!"

(obviously the gun doesn't talk I'm just trying to break it down in terms that everyone can understand as I do not know the proper terminology to describe the problem - I do take gun safety very seriously BTW)

So I go out, shoot 13 rounds out of my kick ass Bersa, and change out the mag and the slide does not automatically go forward. I don't know if I cleaned it wrong or if there is dirt in there somewhere where there shouldn't be. ( I dont think there is) but for the life of me I don't even understand how the weapon would know to release the slide lock when a full magazine is loaded into it. I can understand why the weapon understands there are no more rounds in the mag as the mag has a little pop up that props the slide lock into place after the last round is fired but when you force a magazine up into the weapon I don't see how it knows to release the slide lock automatically to chamber a round.

So basically the weapon has been working great for some time, I took it out shot a few hundred rounds through it, cleaned it, and now it doesn't auto slide forward when a magazine is loaded into it.

Any thoughts in regards to what am I looking for?

Thanks for any help in advance!

The auto load of the first round is standard in the smaller calibers, .32 & .380 that I know of, when you insert the mag with force. I don't think it is standard for the larger caliber pistols although some have reported it in their's. You might call a warranty center & ask them. If Bersa has started making this a feature in all of their pistols, a S/N may be necessary for them to know if your .40 is included.

I suppose that it's possible that when your pistol was new & stiff, the slide stop wasn't fully engaging the slide notch & the jar from slamming a loaded mag home, jarred it enough to disengage. That's just a guess & they may be able to verify that possibility. I normally ease my mags into place, but have checked my (3) 9mm, a Firestorm .40S&W & UC.45 & none of them do it.

I would try inserting the magazine with a bit more force. The slide should not chamber the round from the newly inserted magazine if the magazine is inserted with normal force. Good luck and please let us know if this resolves the issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Americangirl01 View Post
    I would try inserting the magazine with a bit more force. The slide should not chamber the round from the newly inserted magazine if the magazine is inserted with normal force. Good luck and please let us know if this resolves the issue for you.
    When I apply a lot of force. I mean almost wrist breaking shove a mag into their as hard as I can, I can some times get it to do it. Other times the slide release only partially comes down.

Idk. If the previous poster is right and larger calibers aren't supposed to do it then it's not a huge deal. I was just under the impression it was supposed to do it and now that it doesn't do it I thought my gun was broken.

I just wish someone that owned a bersa thunder pro 13 rnd handgun would come on and say yay or nay to this thread.

I really do appreciate all the replies though. Tyvm.

Only thing I'd know to do is contact a warranty center or Eagle Imports. My Firestorm .40 was bought in '07 & my UC9 & HC9 were bought in '09. They do not do it & I've tried to make them do it. If your Bersa is newer than that & if Bersa has redesigned them to have that feature, Eagle Imports or a warranty shop should know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by azrael888 View Post
    When I apply a lot of force. I mean almost wrist breaking shove a mag into their as hard as I can, I can some times get it to do it. Other times the slide release only partially comes down.

Idk. If the previous poster is right and larger calibers aren't supposed to do it then it's not a huge deal. I was just under the impression it was supposed to do it and now that it doesn't do it I thought my gun was broken.

I just wish someone that owned a bersa thunder pro 13 rnd handgun would come on and say yay or nay to this thread.

I really do appreciate all the replies though. Tyvm.
    Hello, azrael888. You may want to join us at www.bersachat.com and post your question there. It is a sister forum to this one and there are quite a few owners there who should be able to give you more information. It has been discussed there several times, and the consensous seems to be that the older production models do not have this feature, but possibly the newer ones do have it. Good luck to you.