Thread: New Thunder 22 WOW!

New Thunder 22 WOW!

I received my new duotone 22 yesterday evening, cleaned it up this morning, went to my range and started shooting. Wow, best 22lr pistol ever! Shot 50 CCI mini mag 40gr roundnose, not a single problem. Next shot 200 Remington bulk hollow points, 1 stovepipe, 1 failure to lock back after last round. Two clips of Federal bulk, not a problem. I thought to myself this has got to be the best 22lr pistol ever manufactured, but lets give it a real test. I've had a half a can of the the old federal bulk thats been sitting around for about 30 years, lets see if it will eat that. Put thirty rounds thru it, 7 failure to fire, otherwise perfect. I've shot Walther, Ruger, berretta and many other 22 pistols over the years and have never seen one that would have this kind of reliability out of the box, again WOW!!!
    God loving, Gun loving conservative
    The scariest nine words you can hear: I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help. (Ronald Reagan)

Great now make sure to give it a good cleaning after all that it deserves it.

Come visit the sister board Your sig lin will be right at home.

http://bersachat.com

Oh fair warning . Owners of Bersa pistols fine out they can't have just one. They seem to start growing on you.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Quote Originally Posted by GLGLconservative View Post
    I received my new duotone 22 yesterday evening, cleaned it up this morning, went to my range and started shooting. Wow, best 22lr pistol ever! Shot 50 CCI mini mag 40gr roundnose, not a single problem. Next shot 200 Remington bulk hollow points, 1 stovepipe, 1 failure to lock back after last round. Two clips of Federal bulk, not a problem. I thought to myself this has got to be the best 22lr pistol ever manufactured, but lets give it a real test. I've had a half a can of the the old federal bulk thats been sitting around for about 30 years, lets see if it will eat that. Put thirty rounds thru it, 7 failure to fire, otherwise perfect. I've shot Walther, Ruger, berretta and many other 22 pistols over the years and have never seen one that would have this kind of reliability out of the box, again WOW!!!
    welcome, GLGLconservative and congratulations. Your results with your ammo choices seem to be right in line with the results of others. Recommended ammo for the Thunder 22s is High velocity. Most have really good luck with CCI mini-mags. Bulk ammo is iffy. Good luck to you and thanks for the great report.

Ever shot a first model Colt Woodsman?

I just bought a new Thunder 22 nickel finish and am having trouble getting it to function properly. I am having several jams shooting Walmart Federal bulk ammo. Pistol fails to extract fired round. I notice the extractor sticks out a little when the action is closed. Does your's do this? I would have thought it should have fit flush, like when the action is open.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwally53 View Post
    I just bought a new Thunder 22 nickel finish and am having trouble getting it to function properly. I am having several jams shooting Walmart Federal bulk ammo. Pistol fails to extract fired round. I notice the extractor sticks out a little when the action is closed. Does your's do this? I would have thought it should have fit flush, like when the action is open.

The Bersa .22s prefer the high velocity ammo, especially during break-in. After that, they sometimes will do okay with bulk ammo. I believe most positive reviews have been CCI Mini Mags, but my wife's liked Remington Golden Bullet in the 225 pak.

I'd suggest you join us at Bersa Chat where you'll find a lot of Bersa owners, willing to help. Also, under the Bersa Chat section, you'll find a forum for the .22 & a thread in it about 'ammo tests' which gives folks' experience with various brands.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php

Congrats on your fine little pistol. Michael T is correct, Bersas are habit forming. They work very well and are quite affordable.
    Young guys should listen to old guys, they know stuff.

CCI mini mags work well, Velocitor's also. they do like the 1400fps rounds and faster. Have a .22 Thunder, duo tone. 5-600 rounds or so, one stove top. could have been whimpy limp wrist...who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by JAMES D View Post
    CCI mini mags work well, Velocitor's also. they do like the 1400fps rounds and faster. Have a .22 Thunder, duo tone. 5-600 rounds or so, one stove top. could have been whimpy limp wrist...who knows...
    I've had exceptional luck with CCI Mini-mags. I use it in all of my .22s.