Thread: Using Shot Shells In A Good Pistol

Using Shot Shells In A Good Pistol

I would like to get your opinions and recommendations about firing shot shells in a good pistol. I have known guys who would buy an old, well-used revolver to use as a "snake gun" rather than use their pampered semi-autos with shot shells. Any feelings about this?

Don't take my thoughts as being gospel, but I'd guess that constant use of shot shells would maybe eventually damage the bore/rifling? I would think that it would take a lot of it to do that so unless you plan of doing a lot of practice with them, may not hurt. Maybe shoot just a few to learn POI, but then only use them for their intended purpose, which would mean rare use.

Most shot shell won't cycle a auto. I think you would spend a lot of money befor you wore out a pistol from these shells
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

I didn't think about them not cycling. I also just read a thread about shot shells on another forum & concensus was they weren't much good out past 4-5 feet & really limits their usefulness.

Their good for snakes ,maybe a rat if close . Not for people .
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

22 shotshells are pretty much useless at any range. will not kill a snake at 3feet.
    38 shotshells are another matter. they work well in my snub 38

Most semi autos wont cycle with shotshell,one has to manually rack to rid and gain new.My 45 acp does well for snakes at close range,just that first round is shotshell when fishing camping etc.A revolver in like 45 lc would do better if all snake rounds,would use 410.

Don;t be hasty. get some proper advice and then start.
    SPAM REMOVED! NO SPAM ALLOWED IN SIGNATURE LINE!