Thread: Thunder 45 sight adjustment/replacement question

Thunder 45 sight adjustment/replacement question

My recently purchased Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro DT .45 ACP Ser# C480** shoots about 3" low at about 4 yards. My existing front metal sight is about 3mm above the slide surface and the plastic rear sight is about 5mm above the slide surface. Is there anyway to adjust the existing sights to compensate for the below point-of-aim shots other than aiming high? If so, what? Should I just get a higher rear sight to fix this? If so, what height and from where? Thank you for your assistance. drphil1

Administrator
    First, I would ask what type of sight picture hold are you using? The Bersa pistols come from the factory with a "dead on" type of sight hold. This means that the front dot should be on the point of aim when you fire the pistol. If you are using a "6 o'clock" hold, it will shoot low.

If you wish to change your sights, you will have to use an aftermarket sight for a Sig Sauer P series pistol.

If you are using a "dead on " hold and having a problem, you could have it done under warranty.

Please let us know how we can be of help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Thanks for your quick response. My target was an 8" paper plate with a nickle size black bull's eye. A close as only 10'-12' from the target, I had to aim approximately 3" above the bull's eye (although I was probably using 6 o'clock sighting). At that short distance, I was covering the bull's eye not with the front sight, but most likely with the trigger guard. I believe that denotes a problem with "dead on" sights. Do you agree? If so, should I sent the pistol for warrantee repair?

Don't think you have an isolated case there drphil1, I've only put about 400 rounds through my Thunder 40 U.C. and without fail, I have to aim the sights 5 inches off at 1 o'clock (high and slightly right) in order to put a tight group
    in the center of the target at 10 meters. There is no discernable way to adjust the sights as far as I can tell. Certainly
    can't "add" material to the front sight. Pretty disappointing, and almost ready to trade-in the Bersa at this point,
    even though I prefer it's balance and esthetics to anyone else's .40 cal. "Kentucky Windage" isn't what I had in mind
    when I bought it back in March. Good Luck with your issue sir.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by clduff View Post
    Don't think you have an isolated case there drphil1, I've only put about 400 rounds through my Thunder 40 U.C. and without fail, I have to aim the sights 5 inches off at 1 o'clock (high and slightly right) in order to put a tight group
    in the center of the target at 10 meters. There is no discernable way to adjust the sights as far as I can tell. Certainly
    can't "add" material to the front sight. Pretty disappointing, and almost ready to trade-in the Bersa at this point,
    even though I prefer it's balance and esthetics to anyone else's .40 cal. "Kentucky Windage" isn't what I had in mind
    when I bought it back in March. Good Luck with your issue sir.
    Hello, clduff and welcome. I am sorry that you are having trouble with your new pistol. As pointed out by CGW, Bersa pistols use a dead-on sight picture. The target should be covered by the front sight and then dots on the rear sight raised (or lowered) so that they are lined up with the front dot. The pistol should be dead-on at 7 yards.

If you join us at www.bersachat.com, there is a shooting aid located in the FAQ forum that is designed to help with aiming issues. It seems that you have come to the conclusion that the aiming issue is not with you and I do not have enough information to credit or discredit that idea, but 24 times out of 25, the issue lies with the shooter and not the pistol UNLESS the sights have been "adjusted" by the user at which time the issue can generally be blamed on both.

If you have gone through the motions to verify that the issue is indeed with the pistol, you may consider sending it in to one of the service centers to have it repaired. Good luck to you.

Also, newer model high caliber Bersa pistols are compatible with Sig 220 compatible sights
    Last edited by Americangirl01; 05-29-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: corrected URL code

I had this same problem and posted this suggestion last year - it seems that many new owners find their pistols shooting several inches low - bench test it and have a couple of competent shooters also bench it to make sure it is not your technique. A factory "point of aim" set up would make you shoot a hole at the bottom of the bullseye if you used a 6 o'clock hold - if you are targeting a 6"bull with a six o'clock hold and hit three inches low at the bottom of the 6" bull, then your pistol is shooting right where you are pointing it. Likewise, if you are targetting a 1" bull and are hitting the bottom of the bull you would only be 1/2" low and I doubt you would be asking for help.

You may need a new barrel - get it while on warranty.

I had a problem with UC45 - 4" low and 2" left at 12 - 15 yds. Took care of the right/left alignment with the front and rear sight adjustment but the high/low is non adjustable. Also I was having lots of difficulty removing the barrel from the slide for cleaning after shooting as few as 20-30 rounds - required lots and lots of solvent and agressive wiggling before it would come out of slide. Sent it to Ahlemans in MN. on 5/13, Mat replaced barrel and test fired it on 5/18 and I received my pistol back on 5/20 with new barrel. Shoots dead on straight regardless of ammo out to 25 yards and breaks down for cleaning easily. Superb customer service from Cabelas, Rynersons and Ahlemans and Colorado Gun.
    I am sure that the barrel and the chamber block were misaligned causing the inteference when diassmbling and pointing the barrel down.

Bersa needs to make sure that doesn't happen, but I have to rate them and their service centers as the best I have ever dealt with, particularly when dealing with firearms - a 9 day turnaround on a pistol is hard to beat.

I am totally happy with my 45UC pistol and would recommend Bersa to others.

I just bought a 9 PRO HC and first hurried test run of 50 - 60 rounds had it shooting low left - corrected windage at the range with sights, but I need to check it out to make sure the elevation is not my problem what with the new grip/ size weight etc.

I have a UC45 that was consistently shooting low (~6.5" at 25 yards). I replaced the rear sight with a Sig #10 and have resolved the problem. I also replaced the front sight with a HiViz SG2006 to improve front sight visibility to my old eyes. Now I am concerned that I should have sent the weapon in for service BEFORE replacing the rear sight. Does anyone know if they will accept it for warranty check with replacement sights installed? Gun was purchased through Davidson in January 2013.