Thread: Slide wont reliably lock back (also posted on chat)

Hybrid View

Slide wont reliably lock back (also posted on chat)

FIRESTORM 22.. about 1k rounds

Slide always would lock back reliably after last round. all of a sudden it does not hold.. No Change in ammo.. Am guessing the spring is weak or there does seem to be a slight rounding in the rear end of the notch in the slide..In fact, simply pressing the mag release caused the slide to move forward if it is locked back. I have never used the slide release to rack the gun so it is not caused by that.. Unfortunatley it is leading to a few dry fires which I do not want to do.
    Ony 1,200 or so rounds through Any thoughts or am I headed to a waranty center?

There seems to be just the slighest bit of a burr forming on the left side and bottom of the rearmost edges of the notch in the slide.. was wondering if some 600 grit sand paper would help or would it affect warranty..

Did not seem to be dirty but I cleaned and lubed the latch.

Before doing anything take apart and clean the magazine and check that spring for good tension (always start with the simplest and cheapest fix). If you do any filing I would definitely start with a much higher grit... When you work with metal you can always work your way down, but rarely can you work your way back up. As for voiding the warranty, it's very possible. Am sure a rep here could answer the warranty questions for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_1 View Post
    Before doing anything take apart and clean the magazine and check that spring for good tension (always start with the simplest and cheapest fix). If you do any filing I would definitely start with a much higher grit... When you work with metal you can always work your way down, but rarely can you work your way back up. As for voiding the warranty, it's very possible. Am sure a rep here could answer the warranty questions for you.
    600 grit is considered superfine. the higher the grit number the finer the sandpaper.
    Problem is the same with all 3 of my mags.. The problem is in the slide or latch. If set , the latch seems on a hair trigger.
    thanks for the reply

I understand what the grit is, have a couple thousand dollars worth of polishing equipment in my garage and storage... been doing it as a hobby for years now. When you start talking about dealing with tolerances in the thousandths between being in and out of spec, 600 grit paper is way too low to start with.

<edit> Now if you have another media being used such as an impregnated wear item that is being used at a low pressure, then you can go much lower than 600. But that also depends on the media, application and metallurgy of the object.
    Last edited by Sam_1; 04-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.

I understand what the grit is, have a couple thousand dollars worth of polishing equipment in my garage and storage... been doing it as a hobby for years now. When you start talking about dealing with tolerances in the thousandths between being in and out of spec, 600 grit paper is way too low to start with.

<edit> Now if you have another media being used such as an impregnated wear item that is being used at a low pressure, then you can go much lower than 600. But that also depends on the media, application and metallurgy of the object.
    Well we are talking about a very fine burr on a 22 slide, notch for lock. What grit would you suggest and where can it be found. ?
    Still not sure I want to do it. Need tocheck warranty

You want to have a stone file set because they are easier to control than sandpaper

You want to have a stone file set because they are easier to control than sandpaper
    Thanks, will look into it but sounds like I will be spending more than cost of shipping to warranty center

Administrator
    I would send it in and let us take care of it. We have the correct tools, training, and we have the parts should it need a new slide catch lever. Please let us know how we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I have a similar problem with my Thunder .380. It's new and I've only run about 200 rounds through it. The slide does lock back after last round, but the lock is very touchy. When I insert another magazine and push it home with a firm slap on the base, the slide releases. Also just tapping the butt on the bench fairly lightly causes the slide to release. I took it to the place where I bought it and they indicated that this is fairly normal with many semi-auto pistols. The clerks standing around the counter all said they had guns that did this. The joked and called this behavior a "voluntary round". None of my other guns do this, so I am somewhat suspicious of their opinion. I would appreciate comments on this.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuck95969 View Post
    I have a similar problem with my Thunder .380. It's new and I've only run about 200 rounds through it. The slide does lock back after last round, but the lock is very touchy. When I insert another magazine and push it home with a firm slap on the base, the slide releases. Also just tapping the butt on the bench fairly lightly causes the slide to release. I took it to the place where I bought it and they indicated that this is fairly normal with many semi-auto pistols. The clerks standing around the counter all said they had guns that did this. The joked and called this behavior a "voluntary round". None of my other guns do this, so I am somewhat suspicious of their opinion. I would appreciate comments on this.
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome, chuck95969....
    It is a normal feature of Bersa pistols for the slide from the locked back position to return home and go into battery when a fresh magazine is inserted with force. Some pistols are more touchy than others. I do not use it on my pistols, but have tried it to see if it works. Fwiw, with either of my two active Thunder .380s, it takes quite a bit of force when inserting the magazine for the slides to return home.

Thanks for the input. Judging from your description it would seem that my Thunder .380 is a little more touchy than your two. However, having said that, as long as the slide locks back on mine I see no problem. From another post apparently a fix is possible with a new slide catch and spring if indeed the slide starts failing to lock back. I presume I could have that done under warranty?

slapping the mag hard will definately slip the slide catch.. My issue was baisically that it would not reliable lock after last round and was also incredably touchy.. I replaced the slide catch and spring on my 22 and that did resolve the problem.. also did a little touch up on the slide were there was a bur. The new slide catch was what did he trick.

Administrator
    Good to hear it works now. Please let us know what we can do to help should you need it.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Administrator
    Yes, that would be covered under your warranty. Please let us know if you need anything, or help to get it repaired.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGunWorksGunsmith View Post
    Yes, that would be covered under your warranty. Please let us know if you need anything, or help to get it repaired.
    Thanks,
    I will do so if necessary. Thanks!