Thread: new gun owner

new gun owner

recently purchased a Bersa Thunder 380. I have been experiancing about 3 jams for every 150 rounds. So far have put about 500 rounds through the weapon. Is this normal? Will the Jams decrease as the gun is broken in? New gun owner.. Thanks

With 500 rounds, it should be broken in. There are different types of jam & different causes so a detailed description of the jam may let someone help.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    With 500 rounds, it should be broken in. There are different types of jam & different causes so a detailed description of the jam may let someone help.
    after fireing, a round is ejected and the next is crooked, it leaves the clip and gets stuck. I can remove the clip and pull the slide back and the round will fall out. the Jam is always the same. Hope thats enough info.

I'm not that good at trouble shooting, but there are folks on the Bersa Chat forum that are. You should join us & post your question there.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php

Does the jammed round start into the chamber, or hang up on the feed ramp? Some things I know that can cause jams are Ammo, Magazines, Extractors, incorrectly installed recoil spring & operator error.

Ammo that get the most complaints are the flat nosed Winchester White Box & the Sellior & Bellot (S&B). The ones that seem to work best are Remington UMC, Magtech, PMC & Blazer, but mainly "round nose" or FMJ.

The magazine should be disassembled & checked inside the tube & feed lips with a Qtip, for burrs. Also check the sides of the feeder platform. Be sure all the shipping goo is cleaned out. Oil is not recommended, but a dry lube would be okay. Be sure the spring is in correctly with the high point oriented to the front of the mag.

The rim of the round must slide up underneath the extractor claw as it is pushed toward the chamber. If crud has built up in that extractor claw, it can't do it. Also, build-up under the extractor can hinder it.

The recoil spring goes over the barrel, small end first & the 'cut' on the other end should be positioned at 12:00.

The .380 is 'blow back' design & subject to "limp wristing". You don't need a death grip on it, but should keep the wrist straight during recoil. Otherwise, it prevents proper cycling. Also, contact of your hand with the slide can impede it's travel & it doesn't take much.

The folks on Bersa Chat will have additional ideas. I hope you get it resolved. Tehy are really nice pistols. My wife has the Thunder .380 & I have the CC.

I also have a Thunder 380 and it also is jamming more frequently lately.
    I just switched to the Winchester and it is really not working properly with them! They are getting jammed. When it does fire it feels like it has 2 to 3 times the kick (feels like you will break your wrist).
    Also, the trigger mechanism has failed more times than it works. I can pull the trigger to fire but nothing happens. The gun doesn't fire and the trigger does not come back into position.
    I will be sending the gun back for service. I only have it a little over 30 days.
    Any help? Anyone else with the same problems?
    Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I also have a Thunder 380 and it also is jamming more frequently lately.
    I just switched to the Winchester and it is really not working properly with them! They are getting jammed. When it does fire it feels like it has 2 to 3 times the kick (feels like you will break your wrist).
    Also, the trigger mechanism has failed more times than it works. I can pull the trigger to fire but nothing happens. The gun doesn't fire and the trigger does not come back into position.
    I will be sending the gun back for service. I only have it a little over 30 days.
    Any help? Anyone else with the same problems?
    Thanks for your time.
    Sounds like the disconnect spring & it should go to a warranty center so it can be properly repaired & won't do it again. The dealer you bought it from can ship it much cheaper than you can, but you should be sure to let him know where to send it. There should be a list of them in the papers that came with your pistol, or you can find a list on Eagle's website.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    I'm not that good at trouble shooting, but there are folks on the Bersa Chat forum that are. You should join us & post your question there.

Does the jammed round start into the chamber, or hang up on the feed ramp? Some things I know that can cause jams are Ammo, Magazines, Extractors, incorrectly installed recoil spring & operator error.

Ammo that get the most complaints are the flat nosed Winchester White Box & the Sellior & Bellot (S&B). The ones that seem to work best are Remington UMC, Magtech, PMC & Blazer, but mainly "round nose" or FMJ.

The magazine should be disassembled & checked inside the tube & feed lips with a Qtip, for burrs. Also check the sides of the feeder platform. Be sure all the shipping goo is cleaned out. Oil is not recommended, but a dry lube would be okay. Be sure the spring is in correctly with the high point oriented to the front of the mag.

The rim of the round must slide up underneath the extractor claw as it is pushed toward the chamber. If crud has built up in that extractor claw, it can't do it. Also, build-up under the extractor can hinder it.

The recoil spring goes over the barrel, small end first & the 'cut' on the other end should be positioned at 12:00.

The .380 is 'blow back' design & subject to "limp wristing". You don't need a death grip on it, but should keep the wrist straight during recoil. Otherwise, it prevents proper cycling. Also, contact of your hand with the slide can impede it's travel & it doesn't take much.

The folks on Bersa Chat will have additional ideas. I hope you get it resolved. Tehy are really nice pistols. My wife has the Thunder .380 & I have the CC.
    Thanks mitch. I have been using round nose ammo. But there are a couple of things you brought up I will look into. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    Thanks mitch. I have been using round nose ammo. But there are a couple of things you brought up I will look into. thanks again
    Hello, jeff1 and welcome. I'm sorry that you're having problems.

Mitchr has given you a few things to check. Ammo, recoil spring placement, limp wristing and magazine issue. Make sure the pistol is clean and lightly lubed. Also, no steel cased ammo. It has been known to cause problems with Bersa pistols. Good luck to you and please let us know.

Administrator
    Let us know if we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I'm having the same problem with my Bersa Thunder as Jeff1. Mine is jamming on the 4th or 5th round in the clip. Yesterday at the range I shot 200 rounds. Out of that many, I only had 3 clips that fired without jamming. Other than the jamming, I really like this gun. I've used PMC, Magtech and yesterday, Herters ammo. I've experienced jamming with each of these brands. I'd consider it broke-in . . . at 600 rounds.
    We clean our guns after each use with Hoppes 9 solvent and Hoppes 9 lubricant. It's just so frustrating to not be able to figure out what's going on.
    I'd appreciate some feedback before I make the decision to send it to a Bersa gunsmith.

Sorry you are having problems. Need a description of the jam, for anyone to help you. Another site that may be able to help you is a sister forum, Bersa Chat. A lot of knowledgeable Bersa addicts there.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannyG View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my Bersa Thunder as Jeff1. Mine is jamming on the 4th or 5th round in the clip. Yesterday at the range I shot 200 rounds. Out of that many, I only had 3 clips that fired without jamming. Other than the jamming, I really like this gun. I've used PMC, Magtech and yesterday, Herters ammo. I've experienced jamming with each of these brands. I'd consider it broke-in . . . at 600 rounds.
    We clean our guns after each use with Hoppes 9 solvent and Hoppes 9 lubricant. It's just so frustrating to not be able to figure out what's going on.
    I'd appreciate some feedback before I make the decision to send it to a Bersa gunsmith.
    Hello, Granny G and welcome. If the Herters is the steel cased ammo, it is recommended that you not shoot it in your Bersa pistol. The steel casings are harder material than the anodized aluminum feed ramp and can damage the feed ramp on the .380 models and the extractors of all models.

The position of the recoil spring should be checked to verify that it is on correctly. The tight end of the spring goes toward the breech (back) end of the barrel. The pistol should be clean and lightly lubed with a good quality gun oil. You may also want to try shooting the pistol from a rest. The Bersa Thunder .380 is of blowback design and is susceptible to limp-wristing. Limp wristing occurs when the muzzle of the pistol is allowed to travel upward as the pistol is fired, due to the wrists not being locked in place. The natural reaction of the shooter is to yank the muzzle of the pistol back down. This violent up and down movement can interfere with the travel of the slide and can cause misfeeds.

If none of the above solve the issue, then it may be time to consider sending the pistol in to one of the warranty service centers. If you purchased your pistol new, it comes with a lifetime service contract. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Americangirl01 View Post
    Hello, Granny G and welcome. If the Herters is the steel cased ammo, it is recommended that you not shoot it in your Bersa pistol. The steel casings are harder material than the anodized aluminum feed ramp and can damage the feed ramp on the .380 models and the extractors of all models.

The position of the recoil spring should be checked to verify that it is on correctly. The tight end of the spring goes toward the breech (back) end of the barrel. The pistol should be clean and lightly lubed with a good quality gun oil. You may also want to try shooting the pistol from a rest. The Bersa Thunder .380 is of blowback design and is susceptible to limp-wristing. Limp wristing occurs when the muzzle of the pistol is allowed to travel upward as the pistol is fired, due to the wrists not being locked in place. The natural reaction of the shooter is to yank the muzzle of the pistol back down. This violent up and down movement can interfere with the travel of the slide and can cause misfeeds.

If none of the above solve the issue, then it may be time to consider sending the pistol in to one of the warranty service centers. If you purchased your pistol new, it comes with a lifetime service contract. Good luck to you.
    The Herters is the brass ammo. The recoil spring is on correctly. I didn't remember, so checked with hubby and he thinks we didn't clean it before it's first use. I thought my wrists were locked, but asked hubby and he said "yes", no limp-wristing there. We'll go to the range next chance and try one more time. Will the dealer where we bought it send it to the proper warranty service center for us? I'm guessing we'd pay the postage to send it. Does Bersa pay the postage to return? Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Yes, you cover the shipping to get it to us, and Bersa covers the repairs and return shipping. Please let us know if we can be of help, and we will be happy to get it taken care of for you. Let us know.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGunWorksGunsmith View Post
    Yes, you cover the shipping to get it to us, and Bersa covers the repairs and return shipping. Please let us know if we can be of help, and we will be happy to get it taken care of for you. Let us know.
    Thanks,
    Thanks. I'm in New Jersey. I'll take it to the shop where I bought it. I'm relieved that it has a warranty

rocky
    just got back from the range and my 380 was having the same issue with the trigger. I pull the trigger and nothing then pull the trigger again and sometimes it will fire.
    The jamming problem seems solved. Ive put about 200 rounds thru without a jam. Really need to keep my wrists stiff.

Administrator
    The only sure cure for the trigger issue is to send it in and have it repaired. Pleacing the spring back in place will be a temp fix. Please let us know how we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work