Thread: Thunder 380 Rear Site

Question Thunder 380 Rear Site

Has anyone else had the problem of the rear site on the Thunder 380 "walking" side to side while firing. What would be a good fix. I can find no screws that hold the site. A worker at the range today said I could superglue it. I wanted to check and see if that would be recommended. I confess that although I have owned the Gun several years I have not shot it much. This is the first issue with the gun. I'm sure there is an answer so thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Has anyone else had the problem of the rear site on the Thunder 380 "walking" side to side while firing. What would be a good fix. I can find no screws that hold the site. A worker at the range today said I could superglue it. I wanted to check and see if that would be recommended. I confess that although I have owned the Gun several years I have not shot it much. This is the first issue with the gun. I'm sure there is an answer so thanks in advance for the help.
    I'm sorry for your troubles, John R. You should have a screw, spring and the sight blade. Do you have all of the pieces?

There is no screw anywhere near the rear site. The site blade is in a dovetail slot.& appears to be adjustable with a drift punch. No screw back there.

There is no screw anywhere near the rear site. The site blade is in a dovetail slot.& appears to be adjustable with a drift punch. No screw back there.
    Yours must have a "fixed" rear sight like the Firestorm 380s. Does it have a dot on either side of the blade, or a U shape outlining the blade? (two dots are the adjustable sights and those with U outlines are the fixed sights, as a general rule, but not always). I have a matte Academy exclusive Thunder 380 model with fixed rear sights (which are drift adjustable). If you are the original owner, sending it to one of the warranty centers and have it repaired using your lifetime service contract is one option.

Administrator
    I would be willing to bet you have what is refered to as an "Academy" model. These hace a plastic rear sight with a "U" type white outline. If this is the model you have, we would be happy to replace the rear sight for you under warranty. Please let us know what you decide, and if we may be of any further assistance.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I'm sure it's the "Academy" model since I bought it at Academy Sports & Outdoors in Cedar Park TX. If I decide to send it in do I send the whole gun or just the slide? Thanks for the help & I will let you know what I decide to do. Probably get the sight replaced because I really like the gun.

Administrator
    John, you can send just the slide, but we would recommend sending the entire firearm. The reason is that we will give it a complete go thru, and perform any updates or service it might need to help prevent any further problems. Also, we can laser bore sight the rear sight if we have the whole firearm. Let us know.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Just found out ( from Bersa ) that the dovetail on the regular models is different from the "Academy" model so the adjustable sights will not fit. So at the moment I'm not too happy with Bersa or Academy. Don't know what I'll do especially since I now have .327 Federal magnum Revolver for a CCW. Have to think about it.

If this is the model you have, we would be happy to replace the rear sight for you under warranty.
    Royce said they would fix under warrenty. The adjustable sight is for windage only and my self I would love to have the type sight you have . Most of my pistols have a drift rear sight . Their less trouble and work fine . So why be mad at Bersa their standing behind their warrenty .
    Fix you pistol their nothing to really think about It needs fixed.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Just found out ( from Bersa ) that the dovetail on the regular models is different from the "Academy" model so the adjustable sights will not fit. So at the moment I'm not too happy with Bersa or Academy. Don't know what I'll do especially since I now have .327 Federal magnum Revolver for a CCW. Have to think about it.
    If I was a guessing person, I would guess that the fixed rear sight used for the Firestorm is the same as the one used for the Academy exclusive Bersa. Look here....http://www.bersa.com/firestorm-firea...es/fs380m.html (this is for a matte finish pistol) but I cannot guarantee that it is the same / will work, but as posted by Michael T, CGW has offered to fix the pistol under warranty if you choose to go that route. Good luck to you, John_R.

Administrator
    Let us know if we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work