Thread: Best ammo to use

Best ammo to use

My wife and I just bought two bersa .380 and have yet to take to range.
    What would best ammo to use? I have used Winchester rounds in my 9MM and did not have a problem.
    Considering on using same brand for our bersa's. Any advice would be welcome.

The Winchester White Box .380 has a flat nose & is a problem with some T.380s, but not all of them, during break-in. Stay away from steel cased ammo as it can cause excessive wear. Otherwise, most any FMJ ammo for break-in & target practice should be fine. I'd not load up on any one brand until you find out, for sure, that it will cycle.

After break-in they'll usually shoot just about any brand. For self defense, three that tested with good expansion & penetration are Corbon DXP (with the Barnes solid copper bullet) Buffalo Bore DPX with the same bullet & Winchester PDX1.

You & your wife will probably enjoy a sister forum, Bersa Chat. A lot of Bersa owners willing to share their experiences & also like having fun at the same time. They have an Ammo Chat section which includes a sub forum of "Ammo Jug Tests". You should read thru the ones for .380 & decide which SD ammo to carry.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/content.php
    Last edited by mitchr; 01-17-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Welcome to bersa.com, and congrats on the two Bersa .380s. I used Magtec 95 gr FMJ to break mine in. PMC works great, and Remington UMC is good, too. Some have had problems with Winchester flat nose. Actually, a round nose ammo is preferred. Others will be along to offer their halp, and come see us at www.bersachat.com There are many good people with a lot of great info.
    What if you found out that The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about.

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm1963 View Post
    My wife and I just bought two bersa .380 and have yet to take to range.
    What would best ammo to use? I have used Winchester rounds in my 9MM and did not have a problem.
    Considering on using same brand for our bersa's. Any advice would be welcome.
    Hello, Grimm1963 and welcome. First of all, congratulations to you and your wife. As far as ammo goes, use a good quality, factory loaded, round nosed, preferably brass cased ammo for the first 200 or 300 rounds before moving to SD ammo. Some have reported feeding issues with Winchester White Box .380 ammo when their pistols are new, due to the flat nose of the WWB. The brands that I have used with success are Remington UMC (green and white box), Magtech FMC, CCI both brass and aluminum, American Eagle and Winchester White box. Beware that some pistols are a bit finicky, especially when new. The best advice is to get small quantities of different brands and then stock up on what your pistol(s) like best. You should avoid shooting steel cased ammo in your Bersa pistol.

Administrator
    Well stated by all.
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Americangirl01 is right on the money...White box is one to avoid and getting small quantities until you find the one you like is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Americangirl01 View Post
    Hello, Grimm1963 and welcome. First of all, congratulations to you and your wife. As far as ammo goes, use a good quality, factory loaded, round nosed, preferably brass cased ammo for the first 200 or 300 rounds before moving to SD ammo. Some have reported feeding issues with Winchester White Box .380 ammo when their pistols are new, due to the flat nose of the WWB. The brands that I have used with success are Remington UMC (green and white box), Magtech FMC, CCI both brass and aluminum, American Eagle and Winchester White box. Beware that some pistols are a bit finicky, especially when new. The best advice is to get small quantities of different brands and then stock up on what your pistol(s) like best. You should avoid shooting steel cased ammo in your Bersa pistol.

Well, I've only had mine for about 1.5 months (Thunder .380). I've been trying to feed different ammo just to see. Thus far I've used: Remington Shurshot, CCI Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, & 4 rounds of Winchester Supreme Elite JHPs. Thus far, everything has gone off without a hitch! Very pleased. Got a box of CCI Blazer Aluminums & a box of Federal Premium Champion that I plan to fire the next couple of weekends. Thus far, I'm liking the CCI Blazer Brass the best.

Yeah, while some are reported to be picky, they are actually the exception & just a small % of the thousand of these pistols that have been sold.

Found a strong deal on American Eagle today. Have yet to fire them. Will tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by nca_mm View Post
    Found a strong deal on American Eagle today. Have yet to fire them. Will tomorrow.
    Good luck, nca_mm. I've found AE to be a bit dirty and somewhat underpowered in my pistols. I prefer Remington or Magtech as that is what I can get in my area. If the price on the CCI brass was right, that would be one of my picks as well, but it's very difficult to find in my area. Thanks for the great reports, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Americangirl01 View Post
    Good luck, nca_mm. I've found AE to be a bit dirty and somewhat underpowered in my pistols. I prefer Remington or Magtech as that is what I can get in my area. If the price on the CCI brass was right, that would be one of my picks as well, but it's very difficult to find in my area. Thanks for the great reports, btw.
    Thanks! While the gun is young I'm just trying to put a variety through it to see if there's something it doesn't like.

My brand new Bersa T-22 failed out of the box, was sent in for repair. After 2.5 months received it back with a note stating I should use specific brand of ammo....CCI 40gr mini mag. Anyone else heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sscarp View Post
    My brand new Bersa T-22 failed out of the box, was sent in for repair. After 2.5 months received it back with a note stating I should use specific brand of ammo....CCI 40gr mini mag. Anyone else heard this?
    The CCI does seem to be one of the favorites of owners on Bersa Chat, but mainly a high velocity ammo is recommended by the manufacturer. The warranty center may have tested it with several brands & determined that it liked that best. Some folks, after they are well broken in (500+ rounds), have had decent luck with the cheaper bulk ammo.

I have used Winchester 95gr, Federal 95gr, and PMC 95gr in my Bersa without any issues.....
    Last edited by MrMike; 03-17-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Administrator
    Sscarp, I have not been made aware of that by any of our sources. It should work with any quailty high velocity .22LR rounds. Please let us know if you have issues. We want to help make sure your happy with your pistol. Please let us know.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work