Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Bersa Thunder .22 magazine

Administrator
    I sent a response to you Frank, it may have bounced. I do not have any of the magazines in nickel right now. I would contact Eagle Imports directly. If the pistol is still giving you problems, please send it in. We are working on warranty firearms even while we are reloctaing our shop. Please let us know how we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGunWorksGunsmith View Post
    I sent a response to once before, but maybe it got lost.

Since then, I have found what may be an issue with some of the .22's. Please send your pistol to us, U.P.S. or FEDEX will work.

Write us a letter letting us know what your concern is, include a physical address for it to be returned to, a phone number where you can be reached, and then box it up tight, include the magazine and ship it to us.

Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks,
    What issue did you find? My Firestorm has very consistent issue with ftf and fte. When closed on an empty chamber, the extractor pushes out close to 1/8", with very little rearward travel of the slide, the extractor goes back into the slide to its 'relaxed' position. With a round chambered it is pushed out about the same 1/8", with very little rearward travel and with the round still retained, the extractor drops back into the slide about 1/16". It seems as if when the slide meet the barrel the extrator groove is not deep enough and pushes the extractor out, when fired the extractor does not have a chance to go back in, therefore it is only 'grabbing' the edge of the rim, then when it meets the ejector it falls off instead of being ejected thereby blocking further function. With bulk ammo I could get maybe a string of 3-4, never a full mag, with Winchester Super X I had a fte of ftf every round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff357 View Post
    What issue did you find? My Firestorm has very consistent issue with ftf and fte. When closed on an empty chamber, the extractor pushes out close to 1/8", with very little rearward travel of the slide, the extractor goes back into the slide to its 'relaxed' position. With a round chambered it is pushed out about the same 1/8", with very little rearward travel and with the round still retained, the extractor drops back into the slide about 1/16". It seems as if when the slide meet the barrel the extrator groove is not deep enough and pushes the extractor out, when fired the extractor does not have a chance to go back in, therefore it is only 'grabbing' the edge of the rim, then when it meets the ejector it falls off instead of being ejected thereby blocking further function. With bulk ammo I could get maybe a string of 3-4, never a full mag, with Winchester Super X I had a fte of ftf every round.
    While that could be a problem & he will be getting back to you about it, something else you might look at is the ammo.Most everyone has reported problems with bulk ammo. I don't really remember anything on the Winchester Super X, but have also noticed that some Winchester ammo has gotten poor reviews. While CCI Mini Mags seem to get the most good reviews, it appears to vary from one pistol to the next. Remington Golden Bullets work well for some.

Here's a link to Bersa Chat & they have an "Ammo Test" thread, I believe in the .22 threads under the Bersa Chat section, that gives info on various brands.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php

Administrator
    The extractor does stick out when in battery and resting on an empty chamber. The extractor could have a problem on your pistol, but we would need to see it to diagnose it and repair it.

The bulk ammo has had problems, also it is designed to shhot high velocity rounds and requires the energy to reliably cycle the action.

We would be happy to check your firearm and make sure it functions as it should. Please let us know what we can do to help.
    Thank you,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I have a new Bersa Thunder .22 that does not like cheap ammo except the Rem. Golden bullets seem to work ok. Fired about 50, and did have a few FTFs. I shot 200 CCI Mini Mags with NO malfunctions at all, but had a few FTFs in the next 50. The slide just slid over the cartridge, so I'm thinking that dirt may have caused the mag. follower to stick. The extractor on my pistol also protrudes a little when the gun is in battery, but I have had NO FTEs.

Administrator
    The slide passing over the next round could be a magazine or ammunition problem. If after a good cleaning and lube it continues, please let us know. We recommend high velocity ammunition like the CCI Mini-Mags for this firearm. Please let us know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work