Thread: Problem with Bersa Thunder .22 magazine

Hybrid View

Question Problem with Bersa Thunder .22 magazine

I disassembled my bersa .22 magazine to clean and lubricate. I thought it might help a problem feeding rounds. I had no problem with assembly or disassembly, but now I have a problem with the magazine function. When I cycle the slide with an empty magazine inserted, the slide stop catches and will not release. If I release the magazine, the slide stop will release normally. I removed the slide and inserted the magazine. I noted that with the magazine fully inserted, the follower can not be pushed down and the slide stop release will not move. If I release the magazine slightly from the fully inserted position the magazine follower moves up and down normally. Any ideas what I can do about this?

Administrator

Check this

It is possible that the follower was damaged during disassembly or reassembly. See if the slide catch lever is engaging the ledge on the left front of the follower, or sliding past it. If this is the problem you will need to have it repaired, and the follower or slide catch lever may need to be replaced.

Second choice would be to make sure the magazine spring is in correctly. it should push the front portion of the follower up more than the rear portion.

If it still does not seem to be cured, please send it to us and we will get it taken care of and back to you quickly and correctly.
    Let us know,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response. I have studied it some more. It appears to me that the magazine release catch is protruding too far into the magazine and is hindering the follower's movement. Maybe this has something to do with my failure to feed problem as well. I have decided to send it in for warranty work. I see that there are several warranty centers (I live in the Southeast). I appreciate your advice.

Administrator
    You may send it to any of the warranty centers. We tend to have firearms in and out in 7-10 days, sometimes quicker, it is rare that it takes longer for a repair. Please let us know what you decide, we have everything in stockto take care of any issue you are having with you firearm.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Problem with barrel and extractor

Bought the Thunder .22 May 9th and had the normal problems with cheap ammo.
    No big deal. CCI and a few others work just fine. Almost impossible to clean barrel.
    Have already bent 2 cleaning rods. Also the extractor sticks out of the slide. Looks like it doesnn't fit properly into the groove at back of barrel. Frustrated. Seems the barrel is either bent or pitted, or something. First few shots are on target, then they spray all over the place. Not an expert, but we're talking 6 inches or more high and low and off to either side no matter what I do. That's at only 7 yards. Need help. Love the feel of the gun, but bad performance and unable to clean properly have me miffed. C. Royce, are you out there? Is the extractor suppose to stick out like that? Pictures I've seen don't show it like that.

Administrator
    I sent a response to once before, but maybe it got lost.

Since then, I have found what may be an issue with some of the .22's. Please send your pistol to us, U.P.S. or FEDEX will work.

Write us a letter letting us know what your concern is, include a physical address for it to be returned to, a phone number where you can be reached, and then box it up tight, include the magazine and ship it to us.

Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Mr. Honeycutt:

Where can I send my Bersa Thunder 22 for warrenty service ? To replace the barrel, ramp under the barrel and perhaps the frame ? Thanks

Welcome Frank. I don't have the Bersa .22 & can't help. I do know that most report that they only like hi velocity ammo. I suggest you join us on the sister forum, Bersa Chat. In the Bersa Chat section, there is a sub forum specifically for the .22. Someone there may be able to help.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/content.php

Of course, as with all Bersas, you should clean them real good & lube before shooting. The goo that comes on the pistol is not a lubricant & it can get sticky from the heat of firing them. Also, you should disassemble the mag, clean it & inspect for any burrs or obstructions of the follower. There are instructions for mag disassembly in the FAQs section of Bersa Chat, also.
    I believe the recoil spring is tapered & the small end goes toward the breech.

There is a list of warranty shops on Bersa Chat. When you send it in, give them a detailed description of what it was doing & let them decide what is needed to fix it. The manual should state 1 year warranty & lifetime service contract. A service contract is better than a warranty because a warranty normally only covers defects in material & workmanship. The service contract covers repairs even from wear.

Administrator
    I sent a response to you Frank, it may have bounced. I do not have any of the magazines in nickel right now. I would contact Eagle Imports directly. If the pistol is still giving you problems, please send it in. We are working on warranty firearms even while we are reloctaing our shop. Please let us know how we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

Administrator
    The extractor does stick out when in battery and resting on an empty chamber. The extractor could have a problem on your pistol, but we would need to see it to diagnose it and repair it.

The bulk ammo has had problems, also it is designed to shhot high velocity rounds and requires the energy to reliably cycle the action.

We would be happy to check your firearm and make sure it functions as it should. Please let us know what we can do to help.
    Thank you,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I have a new Bersa Thunder .22 that does not like cheap ammo except the Rem. Golden bullets seem to work ok. Fired about 50, and did have a few FTFs. I shot 200 CCI Mini Mags with NO malfunctions at all, but had a few FTFs in the next 50. The slide just slid over the cartridge, so I'm thinking that dirt may have caused the mag. follower to stick. The extractor on my pistol also protrudes a little when the gun is in battery, but I have had NO FTEs.

Administrator
    The slide passing over the next round could be a magazine or ammunition problem. If after a good cleaning and lube it continues, please let us know. We recommend high velocity ammunition like the CCI Mini-Mags for this firearm. Please let us know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work