Thread: Thunder 22 failure to feed

Thunder 22 failure to feed

Brand new Thunder 22 with a failure to feed problem, if not every mag, at least every other. Tried Federal. Winchester, Mini Mags, and others. Same problem. Only have one mag that came with it (poorly made), so I don't know if that could be the problem. It's now an expensive paper weight. Any ideas?

I would try to locate another mag . If you find mag is the problem I would called Eagle (call no e mails) and talk with them.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Thanks Michael T., I just checked and Eagle has 22 cal. mags. I wil call them instead of ordring online. I hope it is a mag. problem. This is my third bersa and the others are dreams.

Administrator
    In the event that it does not cure the issue, please let us know and we will be happy to service it for you under the warranty. Please let us know what happens.
    Thank you,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I just received a Thunder 22 that is having the same problem. It is SNB982XX. What I noticed about mine however, in addition to the jamming problem is that the chamber loaded indicator is also always up. I have not taken any steps towards getting it resolved other than an e-mail sent out yesterday. Please keep your progress updated regarding this issue and I will do the same.

I am sending my pistol to Colorado Gunworks in IN. I have no intention of going through the frustration of finding the "correct" ammunition for it. In my opinion, anything of standard velocity ought to fire and cycle consistently. It is my expectation it happily eat round nose or hollow-point lead or plated, I will not accept anything less. I am under the opinion that one of the manufacturing steps or machines has fell out of tolerance. Most everyone sharing this issue has received their Thunders recently. Has anyone else noticed that the chamber loaded indicator always shows positive for a round in the chamber??

I will let you all know what the results are from Colorado Gunworks when I get the gun back. I will have to apologize- I am not normally this quick to lose my patience but this gun was purchased by me brand new for my 13 year old daughter to get hooked on shooting. I even spray painted the grips pink. We had one magazine cycle flawlessly and her eyes lit up like stars. I want her experiencing that more often. Malfunctions do not lend well to accomplishing that in addition to the fact clearing jams is dangerous.

I just deleted a long winded post because I just realized the thread was about a .22 & my rant about .380 didn't apply.

But, do want invite you to join us at Bersa Chat, a sister forum with a lot of Bersa fanatics. A lot of collective knowledge about Bersas, as well as other platforms/brands of firearms. Plus, we have a lot of fun, sometimes at my expense, but still fun.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php

Quote Originally Posted by markdvh View Post
    I am sending my pistol to Colorado Gunworks in IN. I have no intention of going through the frustration of finding the "correct" ammunition for it. In my opinion, anything of standard velocity ought to fire and cycle consistently. It is my expectation it happily eat round nose or hollow-point lead or plated, I will not accept anything less. I am under the opinion that one of the manufacturing steps or machines has fell out of tolerance. Most everyone sharing this issue has received their Thunders recently. Has anyone else noticed that the chamber loaded indicator always shows positive for a round in the chamber??

I will let you all know what the results are from Colorado Gunworks when I get the gun back. I will have to apologize- I am not normally this quick to lose my patience but this gun was purchased by me brand new for my 13 year old daughter to get hooked on shooting. I even spray painted the grips pink. We had one magazine cycle flawlessly and her eyes lit up like stars. I want her experiencing that more often. Malfunctions do not lend well to accomplishing that in addition to the fact clearing jams is dangerous.
    Update. I humbly apologize for anyone whom I may have turned off regarding this pistol. I am eating crow, lots of it!! Went back to the range and spoke to one of the owners that suggested I try CCI minimags before throwing in the towel and shipping the gun out for repair. It was / is his opinion the Bersa 22 Thunder is engineered for higher-velocity LR cartridges. I tried the minimags at 1600+ fps and could not get it to jam, even severely limp wristing it. I will put 1000 through it then try my Federals again. It can digest 1280 CCI hollow-points as well- very happily. I'd say problem solved for now.

Update. I humbly apologize for anyone whom I may have turned off regarding this pistol. I am eating crow, lots of it!! Went back to the range and spoke to one of the owners that suggested I try CCI minimags before throwing in the towel and shipping the gun out for repair. It was / is his opinion the Bersa 22 Thunder is engineered for higher-velocity LR cartridges. I tried the minimags at 1600+ fps and could not get it to jam, even severely limp wristing it. I will put 1000 through it then try my Federals again. It can digest 1280 CCI hollow-points as well- very happily. I'd say problem solved for now.
    Thank you very much for the update, markdvh. I have had 100% reliability from CCI Mini-mags also. I'm really glad you were able to get the issue resolved and thank you again for reporting back.

Administrator
    I'm glad to see our emails may have helped also.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work

I just received a Thunder 22 that is having the same problem. It is SNB982XX. What I noticed about mine however, in addition to the jamming problem is that the chamber loaded indicator is also always up. I have not taken any steps towards getting it resolved other than an e-mail sent out yesterday. Please keep your progress updated regarding this issue and I will do the same.
    Where is there a chamber loaded indicator on a firestorm (bersa) 22 ?

I recently got a new Bersa .22. It fired 200 Mini Mags with no malfunctions, and fired about 50 Rem. golden bullets with just a few failure to feeds, and the next 50 Mini Mags had a few failure to feeds. For all failure to feeds the slide just slid over the cartridge, so I just retracted the slide, let it go, and started shooting again. Does anyone else think that the mag. caused the FTFs? I cleaned the mag. as well as I could without disassembling it, because I haven't figured out how to take it apart yet.

The exploded spare parts diagram in the manual does not list a loaded chamber indicator. I believe what folks are calling that is the extractor, and the extractor on my .22 sticks out when the pistol is in battery, too. I believe that is by design. I have had no failure to ejects (with CCI Mini Mags), so I believe my extractor is functioning okay.

Administrator
    I addressed this in another thread, but it could be your magazine or ammunition. If it continues, please let us know and we can get it serviced under the warranty. Let us know how we can help.
    Thanks,
    C. Royce Honeycutt
    Master Gunsmith
    Bersa Warranty Center
    Bersa Custom Work