Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Llama max 1 L/F. Just inherited, haven't fired

Llama max 1 L/F. Just inherited, haven't fired

This week I bought a 2002 llama max 1 L/F (1911 clone),45 acp, high gloss blued steel with mirror silver stainless steel in the grip and thumb safeties, slide release lever and some other small parts. It's a beautiful pistol and Have read in some Internet posts that post-mid-90's llamas were pretty well made. There's a YouTube video of a guy shooting the heck out of a totally identical llama with zero failures and with Wolf ammo, no less. (read that Wolf is a no-no for various reasons) 'd love to take this beauty to the range but am paranoid that it won't function. Any advice?

Also I'm still 1 or 2 steps below novice. Had to do Internet research to make sure I wouldn' accidentally ask the Academy dealer for some wrong version of 45 ammo. Is the gun limited to "45acp" or will "45 automatic" ammo worktoo? What about "45 GAP", "45 long colt" and an oddball I saw called "454".

Even within factory ammo marked 45 acp are some brands "to hot" with enough gun powder to make the blow up? If so what do you look for in markings on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 x 17 Guy View Post
    This week I bought a 2002 llama max 1 L/F (1911 clone),45 acp, high gloss blued steel with mirror silver stainless steel in the grip and thumb safeties, slide release lever and some other small parts. It's a beautiful pistol and Have read in some Internet posts that post-mid-90's llamas were pretty well made. There's a YouTube video of a guy shooting the heck out of a totally identical llama with zero failures and with Wolf ammo, no less. (read that Wolf is a no-no for various reasons) 'd love to take this beauty to the range but am paranoid that it won't function. Any advice?

Also I'm still 1 or 2 steps below novice. Had to do Internet research to make sure I wouldn' accidentally ask the Academy dealer for some wrong version of 45 ammo. Is the gun limited to "45acp" or will "45 automatic" ammo worktoo? What about "45 GAP", "45 long colt" and an oddball I saw called "454".

Even within factory ammo marked 45 acp are some brands "to hot" with enough gun powder to make the blow up? If so what do you look for in markings on the box.
    .45 ACP stands for automatic colt pistol. .45 GAP stands for glock automatic pistol, and the case length is shorter than the .45 ACP. .45 long colt is for a revolver or rifle. .454 Casull (SP?) is also a revolver or rifle cartridge. .45 AUTO is the same as the .45 ACP (11.43 x 23mm I think). Just like the Luger is the 9x19mm and the .380 auto is the 9x17. The .40 S&W is the 10x22mm. The 10mm auto is the 10x25mm. It gets confusing sometimes.

Get 230 gr Ball ammo . 45 auto or ACP Blazer or Winchester at wally world. Don't worry about any other ammo at present No reason for +P ammo.in Llama.. My last Llama had 3 or 4 jams per mag. .That's why was my last. My 1st one was as accurate and reliable as my Colts That was in the late 60's Had one early 90's it never jammed but wasn't accurate..
    The company is history closed 2005. Some parts still out their but its not a true 1911 clone. Its a look alike. So not all their parts will fit either. Good luck you tossed the coin lets hope came up Heads.
    I don't know what you paid but hope was less than say 250 . Last year made 2005 MSRP was $299 Mint maybe worth 225 to 250. today market.

Now clean it real good . Oil it good and go see if it works using 230 ball ammo . That's only way to answer you questions.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Sounds about right on the value. Looked it up on my last years blue book of gun values,

Thanks for the replies. The jamming history is not encouraging. I'll clean the pistol well, use 230 gr ball and give it a try. This pistol has a little quirk -- the thumb safety is stuck in the down (fire) position and won't budge. I put 3 drops of oil around it to soak in and loosen. Otherwise the grip safety functions fine. I'm also going to take it to cheaper than dirt this weekend for some colt 1911 magazines. The salesman there asked to just bring the pistol in to test out one of those as per whether it fits.

I have to report that the Llama disassembled well. Reassembling took a bit more time. Cleaned and lubricated but still can't get the thumb safety into the safe position. BTW this Max 1 is about 99 percent identical to the Colt 1911's I see disassembled in YouTube videos. The tab you pull out of the left side of the frame when disassembling the Colt is shaped differently. The extractor is also different.

Still no time yet to take the Llama to the range. If there are feeding issues I'll try new mags. If problems persist it will make a nice wall ornament.

I just got 2004 manufactured Llama Max 1 LF in NIB condition for $325.00. After reading reviews looks like I paid too much. Pistol looks good in craftsmanship and function very smoothly. Only problem I am having is to figure out what is exact location of slide release lever on left side to make it free to come out. The minimum printed instruction are very unclear. I wish they had put couple of pictures.

Can you attache a picture or pin point what should be aligned with the round notch on the slide for disassembly.

Thanks

First notch on slide as you move slide to rear. When its over the place in frame Where slide release goes in to frame push out from pressure on back side. This pistol same as a 1911 as far as take down Look up directions for 1911 a million out their.
    Its not a 1911 only a few parts will interchange Grips won't I will say that right off as thats what most people want to change first.

9x17 guy You must fix the thumb safety. It needs to work It also only way you can ever do a full take down of pistol. Push in (towards frame) on the plunger tube Thats part between safety and slide release It could be loose On a Llama their screwed on not staked like a 1911.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

Sorry for the late reply. The llama ran 100 percent reliable. Have had it at the range twice since June and put about 100 rds thru it total. Michaelt - I think your advice to have it clean was the key.

Have to report too that I bought a (gasp) Hi Point 45 about 3 months ago. 100 percent reliable with WWB & Remington 230 gr hardball. As with the llama have put about 150 rds thru it so far. The only down side is the complexity in dis- / re-assembling it. It wasn't made to be field stripped easily. Wish it had a better feeling slide the slide it has feels like porcelain when you thunk it but hey -- good handguns also come with plastic frames

Forgot to add-- the thumb safety issue on the llama was me not knowing that the hammer has to be cocked before the thumb safety will move at all.

Yes its a single action pistol They were /are suppose to be carried cocked safety on Its known as Cocked and locked .

Colt mags should work
    Their not hard to field strip In military your learn to do blindfolded Remember this design was to be pistol . That replace the then current cav. pistol back then
    It was field stripped and carried into WWI by men that for most part never finished HS school. They could do it you can do it.

Thanks Michaelt - good advice This llama starts getting sluggish after about 50 rds -- instead of bang bang bang it's bang-ka-chunk. Can't figure out where the ka Chunk reason is but it quits doing it when clean. Maybe where the barrel locks into the slide

Clean the pistol what kind of ammo you using . It must be cheap and really dirty. Please not the ruskie steel case junk. Walmart sells . I would clean real good then Oil her up not dripping wet but oiled . I use a little grease on my link pin and where barrel locks in slide .

Thanks for the advice. It's wwb and Remington maybe it's the wwb and possibly that llamas steel expands too much when hot After all it is a llama. Again great advice. I'll keep it clean & lubed. BTW it's pouring down rain here (ft worth area). Gosh I love this weather for some odd reason. Take care

Send some of that rain to east Texas. We've been surrounded by fires for the last week or so. They get them put out & the next day the wind comes bck up & reignites them.

It's probablY coming your way. I've always had a place in the heart for e Texas. Childhood memories. Used to visit the area to see family. Nacogdoches is so pretty. Jacksonville has great spots for hiking back in the woods. There's little in my area that fills that bill. Ps how are ammo prices there

The cheap stuff at walley world is still pretty cheap. Like $17 per 50 for .380, $11 per 50 for 9mm & $17 per 50 for .45. I've found the .380 considerably cheaper on line, but not the 9mm or .45 ACP.

If you're going to get up near Longview, send me a PM & we can go shoot at my range.

Thanks will do. Academys about in line with those prices. No other ammo any cheaper except the steel cased ammo which I don't want. Always some reloads at gun shows. A friend of mine was shooting reloads thru a Glock 21. One round was loaded way too hot and it ruined the Glock With 380 about the price of 45 I shoot my 9mm lots more than the 380 or 45. (I went ahead and kept that sigma 9mm I bought back in march. The trigger took getting used to so accuracy is ok although not perfect by any means.).