Thread: Thunder 380 - quality issues?

Thunder 380 - quality issues?

I purchased a NIB Thunder 380 last October from a local dealer. During my first visit to the range, the trigger failed after about 50 rounds. I took it home, cleaned it, and when I removed the right grip noticed the disconnector spring had popped of the disconnector. I re-seated it, and took it back to the range. Second time at the range, trigger failed to function after about 50 rounds. Again cleaned it and noted the disconnector spring had popped off again. Reseated it and worked the trigger a few times. I noticed the spring snagged or hung-up on a small burr or defect when trigger was half-depressed. My dealer sent it to Reynerson's in LA at his cost for repairs.

Got it back a few weeks ago, and was finally able to return to the range yesterday. Ran 150 rounds through it with no trigger issues. Did have some major feed issues with one brand of ammo, but when I switched brands the last 100 shots were incident free. However when i got home and cleaned the pistol, I noticed a piece of the magazine bottom (plastic) had cracked and is about to fall off. Note that I DO NOT slam the magazine into the grip when reloading.

This is my first handgun purchase. I also have my grandfathers circa 1928 1911M1 Colt 45 ACP, and have ran over 800 rounds through it with NO malfunctions. While I like the feel, size and accuracy of the T380, I am not confident that it will be there in a pinch if I ever really need it to be. A couple questions:

1. Are there quality issues with recent production 380's, or is it me? Mine was manufactured this past summer.

2. It is still covered by the 1 year warranty. Can I ship just the magazine back for repair/replacement, or does the entire pistol need to be returned?

3. I gather shipping handguns is a tricky matter without a FFL. Anyone have helpful hints for this?

Thanks!

Mike in MO

At one time, the 380s did have a problem with the disconnector spring popping out & there is a permanent fix. I would assume that Rynerson's took care of that. The magazine/pistol was possibly dropped while out of your possession, but it should be under warranty. I'd suggest you call Rynerson's or Eagle Import & they will possibly just send you a new bottom.

As far as Bersa Quality, I don't believe you have anything to worry about there. Any manufacturer can have issues, it's how they take care of them that matters. When a thing like the disconnector spring happens, by the time it is discovered there are a lot of pistols out in circulation & it takes a while to get them all corrected, but Bersa & Eagle Imports believe in good customer service. The .380s do seem to be picky about ammo until they are broken in. Once that is done, they usually will handle anything. Steel cased ammo is not recommended because of unnessessary wear.

I will pass this to proper people here plastic mag bottoms can be ordered from eagle or Condorsflight . Be faster from Condorsflight.com But I will see what the boss would like . I normally keep a couple around But their all being used at present.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Administrator
    Hi mikelt98. I apologize for the issues you are having with your pistol. Please PM me your address and I will send you a new finger rest and an extra magazine for your Bersa. Please elt me know if there is anything else you need. Thanks!

Mike:
    I have collected hundreds of guns over the past 40 years and I find the quality of Bersa Thunder to be very good. Any manufacture may have an issue with their handgun but generally the Bersa Thunders are very reliable. I just had the plastic floor plate on two brand new Sig magazines with nasty cracks in them.

If you take your Bersa Thunder(BT) out and fire three hundred rounds of good quality round nose ball such as Magtech without incident, you will know that the gun is reliable enough for defense. Then I would fire one box of hollow point ammo that you want to use to make sure it works with that specific ammo and you are good to go. This is the same drill I would use for any defensive pistol.

The BT is a lower grade pistol than your grandfathers pre-war Colt 1911 and that is OK since many handguns fall into that category. Never-the-less, the BT is a very reliable design, well worth the time to make sure that it works perfectly. Mine has been perfect after the first box which two cartridges hesitated during firing. You made a very wise and informed purchase for your first handgun purchase.

BersaSales: I PM'ed my info to you - thank you very much for taking care of this. Your offer is greatly appreciated!!!

Mike in MO