Thread: Can anyone help me?

Exclamation Can anyone help me?

I am proud to say that I own a Firestorm Mini Compact 45. I had to give it a throat job to get it to feed hollow points, but I never miss a 20oz soda bottle at 10yds. Apparently, it's an anomally. Even this site doesn't list it as a product. I am desperately seeking a sear spring! I've been unable to locate one anywhere. Was this model discontinued due to some problem or defect? Why would the manufacturer not recognize what I have found to be an excellent alternative to spending $1000 on a comparable handgun from another manufacturer? Is it that rare, or limited production, maybe? I've gone as far as buying a sear spring from Wilson Combat and modifying it to fit. Granted, this should not be attempted by a novice, but I am a machinist and metal fabricator by trade. THIS SHOULD NEVER BE ATTEMPTED BY ANYONE! The fit looked perfect, but a function check proved how wrong I was. I'm not sure if emptying the magazine when the slide is released will cause a catastrophic failure, but I'm certainly not that stupid. Unless someone can help me find a sear spring, I'm stuck with a most awesome paperweight.

Hello, b-dean and welcome....
    First off, I am sorry that you are having problems. The Bersa UC45 and the Firestorm Mini Compact 45 are on the same pistol frames, and the parts are interchangeable. Here is a link to the parts listings, but you will need to select your finish on the left hand side to get to the listing breakdown.....http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/...ro-series.html. You should be able to order the spring from there.

The larger caliber Firestorm pistols are no longer being imported into the US, but the Bersa pistols are.

If you are the original owner of the pistol, it should have a lifetime service guarantee, but it does not apply to non factory modifications.

Awesome!

That's great news! I'm not the original owner, but it had only had a single magazine run through it when I bought it. The grip was uncomfortable for the original owner, but I have no problem with it. I ran 200 rounds through it and did the throat job and a slight modification to the front sight in a single weekend. That Sunday afternoon I fired a 3.5" group at 10yds and hit a 12" target at 50yds with a 3.4" barrel!?!? I was shocked. I quit carrying my favorite P89 until the sear spring mishap. Now that I know where to find what I need, I'll start looking for another Mini Compact. I can't express how much I appreciate your help, so I'll thank you and go order a new sear spring.

You're very welcome, b-dean and best of luck to you.......

No Luck!

I'm not trying to call you out, but I think you've been misinformed. The UC45 is built on a single stack frame. The Mini Compact is built on a double stack frame with 10rd magazine. The sear spring listed for the UC45 is a coil spring. Mine has a 3 finger spring much like a standard 1911. It is considerably shorter than a standard 1911 spring. I'm attaching an exploded view schematic to avoid confusion. I hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails minicompact_schem.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by b-dean View Post
    I'm not trying to call you out, but I think you've been misinformed. The UC45 is built on a single stack frame. The Mini Compact is built on a double stack frame with 10rd magazine. The sear spring listed for the UC45 is a coil spring. Mine has a 3 finger spring much like a standard 1911. It is considerably shorter than a standard 1911 spring. I'm attaching an exploded view schematic to avoid confusion. I hope this helps.
    Then you must be referring to the Firestorm that was made by Llama, in Spain. I didn't know they made a compact, but I know of the one they made similar to a 1911. Actually called it a Firestorm 1911, but not all parts were interchangeable. Parts may be tough to find for it. I don't visit the Gun Broker website very much, but I have seen the Llama 1911s there. Might also find parts for your compact.

Hi I am glad to find other interested Bersa owners. I recently found a Firestorm mini45 and had been looking for quite awhile. And as the saying goes quit looking and it will show up when least ecpected. O f course I didn't have the dough for it, but I did have a friend interested in my Para-P-12. So I test drove the Firestorm first and the para side by side, and was amazed to find that I had an extremely tough decision setting in front of me. Both pistols performed great. Very comfortable, reliable and shot 8" groups at 30 yds. Well I decided to try rapid fire and the firestorm through 2 mags did ftf twice. the para did not. I wonder if it was the pistol or ammo. I was shooting 200gr swc. I remembered back 10 yrs when I had my HK P9S, I liken this firestorm 45 to that in many ways first and foremost the size and weight. I was reloading for that asa well and found ftf issues with it when I shot lighter loads. So I got out some 230gr roundnose and went to the range and shot 2 mags regular and the next 2 mags rapid fire and the firstorm performred flawlessly. I was talking with a friend shooter over breakfast about the load differences. I was informed that most 45 auto manufacturers build the the 230gr roundnose bullet of choice. That made sense why the 200gr did not feed as well. To me I can load and shoot 230gr all the tim. Otherwise he said I would be finding and changing springs t tune it to ammo. Has anyone experienced these same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Then you must be referring to the Firestorm that was made by Llama, in Spain. I didn't know they made a compact, but I know of the one they made similar to a 1911. Actually called it a Firestorm 1911, but not all parts were interchangeable. Parts may be tough to find for it. I don't visit the Gun Broker website very much, but I have seen the Llama 1911s there. Might also find parts for your compact.
    That looks like the case, mitchr. I'm terribly sorry, b-dean. The FS 1911 is not the same pistol as the Mini Compact 45..I'm not really sure where to get parts for them either as they have not been imported for some time?.
    Last edited by Americangirl01; 12-13-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 68shovl View Post
    Hi I am glad to find other interested Bersa owners. I recently found a Firestorm mini45 and had been looking for quite awhile. And as the saying goes quit looking and it will show up when least ecpected. O f course I didn't have the dough for it, but I did have a friend interested in my Para-P-12. So I test drove the Firestorm first and the para side by side, and was amazed to find that I had an extremely tough decision setting in front of me. Both pistols performed great. Very comfortable, reliable and shot 8" groups at 30 yds. Well I decided to try rapid fire and the firestorm through 2 mags did ftf twice. the para did not. I wonder if it was the pistol or ammo. I was shooting 200gr swc. I remembered back 10 yrs when I had my HK P9S, I liken this firestorm 45 to that in many ways first and foremost the size and weight. I was reloading for that asa well and found ftf issues with it when I shot lighter loads. So I got out some 230gr roundnose and went to the range and shot 2 mags regular and the next 2 mags rapid fire and the firstorm performred flawlessly. I was talking with a friend shooter over breakfast about the load differences. I was informed that most 45 auto manufacturers build the the 230gr roundnose bullet of choice. That made sense why the 200gr did not feed as well. To me I can load and shoot 230gr all the tim. Otherwise he said I would be finding and changing springs t tune it to ammo. Has anyone experienced these same issues?
    Welcome to Bersa Firearms. I have only tried 230 gr in my Thunder Pro 45 which is the same as your Mini 45 except some cosmetic differences & polygonal barrel. You might want to check out the Bersa Chat forum, the sister to this one, where you'll find a lot of knowledgeable Bersa owners.

http://www.bersachat.com/

Mitch he has the old Llama compact 1911 45. Llama is history has been for several years. But not to worry to much. You pistol is almost 100% copy of a Para P-10 Many parts will interchange sear spring should I had both at one time and swapped parts around Wolff has mag springs that was the mail failing of these guns. . Only thing is mine ate extractors about every 400 rounds Those might be hard to find . I never got the para to work right and the Llama was iffy .
    I used the para mag in mine also So think Para P-10 for majority of your needs Safety and other pretty much regular 1911
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Thanks guys!

At least I'm not crazy. Like I stated earlier, this was my carry until it broke on me. I've tried several different types of ammo in it. The only issues I had was with Corbon SWCHP in +P. They leave the muzzle at around 1250FPS, but they tended to jam during feeding. It did the best with Winchester 230gr FMJ, followed closely by Winchester Silvertips. The only problem I've ever had with it, other than the sear spring, is that it rips the spent casings out and flings them at your head. I'm a combat vet, so I can live with this minor distraction. It's far less of a problem than someone next to you with an M249 SAW dumping spent casings and links against the side of your head and into your body armor!