Thread: Thunder UC 9mm or 380 for CCW?

Thunder UC 9mm or 380 for CCW?

Hey all,

I am going to buy my first handgun soon and am looking at the Bersa's or something very similar. I LOVE the shape, feel, and size of the thunder 380 but everyone says that 380 is not enough and to get a 9mm. I have seen the UC 9mm and actually like it but am curious as to the movability while having it on your hip or in the small of your back? Like driving, moving, running, etc. How compact is it? The 380 is the perfect size for my hand. I am 6" tall and 150 pounds. So I am tall and skinny with small hands. Also what do you all know about the reliability, power, recoil, weight, etc. between the two models? Also is there any alternative that is a 9mm that is VERY similar to the 380 because I LOVE the shape and everything about it. I don't want to go higher than 9mm as my girlfriend needs to be able to shoot it and is tiny. Also I don't want high recoil. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Josh

If you're seeking a comparison of ballistics the 9mm wins everytime, penetration/impact or stopping power. Will the 380 do the job, depends on several factors, but my personal opinion for personal defense at close range , the answer is yes. Concealability goes to 380 in Bersa. Plenty of alternatives, depends on how much money you have. For the money and concealed handgun at close range, if your preference is da/sa Bersa 380 is a good choice. Choose your ammo carefully.
    Last edited by losingle; 02-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Try the BP9CC

Josh,
    Instead of the Thunder 9 Ultra Compact, you might want to look into a Thunder 9 Compact Carry (aka - BP9CC). It has a narrower grip, due to it only having a "single" stack magazine that holds 8 rounds + 1 in the chamber. The Thunder 9 Ultra Compact has wider grip, due to it having a "double" stack magazine that holds 13 rounds + 1 in the chamber. One thing to think about is the BP9CC is similar to a Glock in the fact that it has a concealed hammer mechanism.

I have put the specifications of both pistols on my Facebook page.
    If you're interested - you can find it under "Bersa Thunder 9"

Quote Originally Posted by jtwilson3 View Post
    Hey all,

I am going to buy my first handgun soon and am looking at the Bersa's or something very similar. I LOVE the shape, feel, and size of the thunder 380 but everyone says that 380 is not enough and to get a 9mm. I have seen the UC 9mm and actually like it but am curious as to the movability while having it on your hip or in the small of your back? Like driving, moving, running, etc. How compact is it? The 380 is the perfect size for my hand. I am 6" tall and 150 pounds. So I am tall and skinny with small hands. Also what do you all know about the reliability, power, recoil, weight, etc. between the two models? Also is there any alternative that is a 9mm that is VERY similar to the 380 because I LOVE the shape and everything about it. I don't want to go higher than 9mm as my girlfriend needs to be able to shoot it and is tiny. Also I don't want high recoil. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Based on your input, the unswer is .380 CC. Specialy if the girlfriend will use it. CC is easy to cary, acurate, light on recoil, has good trigger and very safe being DA/SA with decocker / safety and lock feature. I have some 300 rounds through mine with only one FTE, believed to have been caused by my limpwristing. Downturn with .380CC is that it comes with only one mag and spare will cost you $45.
    With good SD ammo and lots of practice it will do the job, till both of you get enough experience and comfort with weapon in general. Later, you can move on to different weapons, or calibers.
    Last edited by valent; 02-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Ok this is my lack of knowledge about just double action/single action handguns. What does it mean when a gun is only double action or doesn't have a hammer? Like what are the applications of not having one/also having ones? Like why would you want a hammer and would it actually matter?

Someone else may be able to give a more technical explanation, but double action means that squeezing the trigger cocks the hammer/striker*, then releases it to hit the firing pin. Double action only means that is the only option on operation. A DA/SA pistol has the option of you manually cocking the hammer & shooting in single action mode or leaving the hammer down & shooting in double action mode, on first shot. Not having a hammer, it does not have an external hammer which you can pull back/cock with your thumb. Examples: Glocks, Springfields the Bersa BP9CC, etc. There are also hammerless revolvers. I personally prefer the hammer fired, but it's mostly an appearance thing for me. I don't know if there is any mechanical advantage. I do know that my BP9CC has a lighter firing pin action than my UC 9 Bersa, but I do not know if that is due to the BP being striker fired & the UC being hammer fired.

Single action is a much lighter, shorter pull than double action, as a rule. However, my BP9CC trigger pull is only 4 lbs & I've heard of some at 3-1/2 lbs, which rivals many 1911 SA pistols. The DA/SA of the hammer fired Bersas allows you to carry with a loaded chamber, hammer down & safety off because that first trigger pull will be a long DA pull, similar to DA only revolver & you don't risk missing the safety with your thumb at a time of stress. Many still prefer to carry with safety on & practice taking it off safety as they draw. Safety on or off is a matter of preference. DA revolvers have no safety & some DA only pistols have no safety.

* I've seen it stated that striker fired pistols are not all true double action pistols, but didn't understand it myself.

Huh well that is fun to learn. So basically I can just cock a single action along and have a lighter pull? I kinda want the lighter pull but its not that huge of a deal. Also I DON'T want a safety. I know practicing makes perfect but I just can't imagine needing the gun, going to pull it out under adrenaline and other hormonal changes in the brain and remembering to hit a button to take a safety off. I just don't trust myself enough. Also in the middle of sleeping (I am a very heavy sleeper), I don't expect me to do it or my girlfriend to remember which is the safety. My buddy just got a smith and wesson m&p 40 which has the trigger safety and I like that pretty well.

Ask Plaxico Burris about the m&p 40 trigger safety. He fired his with his hand outside of pants, gun inside. Glock misinformation. Best safety is between your ears. 1911 is a sao that most carry "cocked & locked" hammer back, manual safety on. I carry dao or da/sa, one in chamber safety on. Different strokes. Know what you have and practice it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwilson3 View Post
    Huh well that is fun to learn. So basically I can just cock a single action along and have a lighter pull? I kinda want the lighter pull but its not that huge of a deal. Also I DON'T want a safety. I know practicing makes perfect but I just can't imagine needing the gun, going to pull it out under adrenaline and other hormonal changes in the brain and remembering to hit a button to take a safety off. I just don't trust myself enough. Also in the middle of sleeping (I am a very heavy sleeper), I don't expect me to do it or my girlfriend to remember which is the safety. My buddy just got a smith and wesson m&p 40 which has the trigger safety and I like that pretty well.
    Main thing is remember the safety rules.

1. Always treat any firearm as if it is loaded.
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    3. Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to destroy.
    4. Know what is behind or near your target.

The first two will prevent negligent discharges (NDs) & the 3rd & 4th will prevent huge regrets if you forget the first two.

As far as I know, all modern fire arms have a block of some sort to prevent the hammer of contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. Even dropping them will not cause a discharge.
    Last edited by mitchr; 03-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Thank the U.S. Army specification for the safety block that many mfgers adopted to meet their standards. (i.e. Beretta 92sb) But Glock came out with a trigger safety that the mp series adopted advertised it as safe trigger pull. No such thing, ole Plaxico carrying his pistol in his belt, pistol slipped, fell inside his pants, he attempted to catch from the outside and pulled that safe trigger and blew a hole in his leg.
    5. Carry pistols in proper holster that cover the trigger guard.
    Last edited by losingle; 03-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Confidence in your weapon is more important than any ballistics test. If you can fire a Thunder .380 center of mass under stress every single shot, then its the gun for you. Having a .45 is great, but if you can't hit anything with it, your just spraying large pieces of lead and hoping for the best. Modern .380 ammo is up to the task of self-defense. I don't see any of the .380 detractors on the internet volunteering to get shot by one. I wondered about the same thing. My .380 was a gun and pawn find that was too good to pass up. Like you, I loved the look and feel of the gun. Also, the blowback design is simple and easy to maintain. I bought it for CC, supplanting my old Charter .38, and carry it everyday. My worries about ballistics ended when I was asking about holsters with one of the guys at a local gun shop. He showed me his paddle holster complete with his Bersa .380 Thunder. When a guy with a case full of choices says its good enough, its good enough! I carry Remington Golden Saber 102 grain, it packs a nice punch for a little round.

I like the 380 and I don't think at 10' or less a bad guy is really going to know if shot with a 380 or 9mm . Neither going to pick him up and fling him out a window or thru a wall like in the movies.
    Its not so much the caliber as your ability to hit a small area COM under stress . Hold a 2 liter pop bottle up to you chest cap bottom of throat . That the approx size of all the good parts in you chest area. you want to hit. . Use a good HP in 380 I like Corbon DPX or Buffalo Bore DPX my self. Hornday cute plug in HP leave on shelf Gold Dot good Remington 102gr has shown to be a terrible HP Fails to expand and way to much difference in FPS per shot .

The CC has a decocker /safety I chamber a round decock pistol with it . Then set to fire. Now you have the same trigger pull as a Revolver and just as safe. Carry with a proper holster and all well with the world.

Just my 02 now .000002 thanks to govt.
    "Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good BERSA at your side, kid."

bersachat.com Where Bersa & American Classic owners call home

Agree except for the reference to cute hornaday. The critical defense round is little cute. Hornaday zombie is a hot round, will expand thru winter clothing. Corbons/buffalo bore are favorites and not available right now. 102 gr to heavy for winter use. Great for summer skin.