PDA

View Full Version : Reassembling the Bersa 380

jwyatt45
05-28-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a Bersa Thunder 380 Conceal Carry. I have shot it three times and have run thru about 120 rounds. I have disassembled it for cleaning and can't seem to get to back together. I have watched several on-line videos and they all show to just pull back the barrel and release it. I can't seem to pull it back far enough for the slides to engage. Also after cleaning and oiling the disassembly piece on the left side of the gun does not catch and needs to be held down. Is there a trick I am missing?

Americangirl01
05-31-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a Bersa Thunder 380 Conceal Carry. I have shot it three times and have run thru about 120 rounds. I have disassembled it for cleaning and can't seem to get to back together. I have watched several on-line videos and they all show to just pull back the barrel and release it. I can't seem to pull it back far enough for the slides to engage. Also after cleaning and oiling the disassembly piece on the left side of the gun does not catch and needs to be held down. Is there a trick I am missing?

Hello, jwyatt45.

The dis-assembly lever must be held down when disassembling or reassembling the pistol. Try placing your recoil spring with the tight end breech and the seam at the 12:00 position. Hold the pistol in your right hand with your fingers wrapped around the outside of the trigger guard and your thumb holding the dis-assembly lever down. Place the slide over the muzzle and pull back and slightly up at the same time. Once you have the slide all the way back, move it slightly down and then forward once it catches in the rails.....fwiw, you will never get it back on unless you are holding the lever all the way down.....

jwyatt45
05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Hello, jwyatt45.

The dis-assembly lever must be held down when disassembling or reassembling the pistol. Try placing your recoil spring with the tight end breech and the seam at the 12:00 position. Hold the pistol in your right hand with your fingers wrapped around the outside of the trigger guard and your thumb holding the dis-assembly lever down. Place the slide over the muzzle and pull back and slightly up at the same time. Once you have the slide all the way back, move it slightly down and then forward once it catches in the rails.....fwiw, you will never get it back on unless you are holding the lever all the way down.....

Thank you for your response. I took it to the guy at my guy shop and he could not put it back together either. Between him and my husband they could not figure it out. At least it was not because I was a "girl" because the "boys" could not fix it either. We then took it to a licsense Gun Smith who worked on it for an hour and a half and we told him we would give him a couple days. Next step is to send it back to Bursa because at least we have a lifetime warrenty, which is great. Probably something simple when they find it. Thanks

mitchr
05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Check the "Draw Bar" that fits along the top of the frame on the right hand side. This bar can get displaced so that it does not fit closely up against the frame & will prevent you from replacing the slide. One way to get it out of place would be to pull the trigger while the slide is off. If this is the case, you'll need to push it toward the frame as you press the trigger & it will pop back into place.

Americangirl01
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Check the "Draw Bar" that fits along the top of the frame on the right hand side. This bar can get displaced so that it does not fit closely up against the frame & will prevent you from replacing the slide. One way to get it out of place would be to pull the trigger while the slide is off. If this is the case, you'll need to push it toward the frame as you press the trigger & it will pop back into place.

Yes, mitchr. One should never pull the trigger of a Thunder .380 with the grip panels or the slide removed.....
Good luck to you, jwyatt45.....

michael t
06-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Please send it to a warranty center if you need service Don't send it to Eagle in NJ If you need warranty work their are several.
We have them posted on http://bersachat.com

thshotdoc
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM

Remove the clip/magazine from the weapon. Pull the slide back and forth several time to make sure the camber is empty. Visually, confirm the weapon is empty.

The recoil spring is smaller on one end. The small end goes on first. The release lever for the slide is on the right at the front of the trigger guard, needs to be down to reassemble. Place the spring on the barrel. Point the spring and barrel into the front of the slide. Crisply, pull the slide back (past the hammer) and down. It will lock into place and release the release lever.

The hammer will be cocked. Push the Safety (on the upper left side) all the way down. The hammer will release.

Do this several times to become familiar with the weapon.

ajcolˇn
05-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Tried putting the recoil spring in at the 12 o'clock position and that didn't work either. Upon closer inspection of the rail guides I noticed they appeared to have metal flash on the opening where the rail slides into the upper. I knocked the flash off with a small screwdriver and the gun went back together smoothly. Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

Dennis98077
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
WoW, this is crazy. I was thinking of buying a .380 now I am not even thing about it again. If a simple tear down for cleaning can give that much problems then to me that weapon is garbage and should not be sold to anyone. The Bersa 40, 9 and 45 tear down very easy and cleaning is fast and reassembly is fast and with zero problems, Ever.... I have over 1200 rounds down range with my 40pro and almost as much with the 45 and 9. I only had one fail to feed on the 9 and it was at the first and it was an oil problem. All three weapons work great so why is it the .380 a piece of crap. Bersa does have a QC problem at the factory I know. All three of my weapons had to be disassembled and the external levels need to be addressed and refinished. On all three the problem was ruff metal finishing. A little wire wheel work and a light sanding and refinishing and all three are Great weapons and function beautifully. Field stripping a weapon should be very easly done and reassembly of that weapon should likewise be very easy, no exception should be acceptable, it should be faultlessly. Ok enough sorry dudes for the rant...:cool:

Americangirl01
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
All three weapons work great so why is it the .380 a piece of crap. Bersa does have a QC problem at the factory I know. All three of my weapons had to be disassembled and the external levels need to be addressed and refinished. On all three the problem was ruff metal finishing. A little wire wheel work and a light sanding and refinishing and all three are Great weapons and function beautifully. Field stripping a weapon should be very easly done and reassembly of that weapon should likewise be very easy, no exception should be acceptable, it should be faultlessly. Ok enough sorry dudes for the rant...:cool:The Thunder .380s are not pieces of "crap". I own several and have had no problems with any. The Thunder .380 is Bersa's most popular model and it is very often a starter gun for many (it was for me). Many people come to internet forums because they have a problem or question, but not many join just to say how much they love their pistols. The ratio of complaints or issues vs happy owners is therefore a bit skewed, fwiw.

I can field strip, clean and reassemble my Thunder .380s in less than 5 minutes each. Between two pistols, I have roughly 11K rounds and as I said, have never had any issues.

michael t
06-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Both my 380 Thunders are trouble free also. I have seen New unfired PPK/S right out of show case that experiance the same type trouble I guess Walthers PPK/S are crap also.
Most of the time its something simple that causes these little troubles. So don't judge the 380 Thunder by a couple replies . Remember their are 1000's of trouble free 380 out their.

Dman708
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM

I know this post/thread is way old, but in case others are currently doing searches for solutions to this problem (like me) or in the future, I hope this will help. I had the exact same problem as Jwatt. I had a new Bersa Thunder 380cc & after 100 or so rounds, I disassembled & cleanded... & I could not get it back together! The slide would not line up w/ the rail & drop down to slide forward. After hours of coaxing & serious manhandling (thinking it was new/tight fit so maybe it needed forced down) nothing worked. I read this thread & mitchr's reply was spot on. I had, indeed, pushed the trigger during disassembly & it had moved the "crossbar" on the right side of the frame out so the slide would not line up. I pressed the trigger, pressed in this bar & everything lined up perfectly & it reassembled quickly & easily.

Funny how there are many other posts & several replies to this one & everyone's talking about design/manufacturing flaws & taking shots at build quality,etc. & all it is/was is user error!!!

Hope this helps someone else having this same problem. This is my first "fixed barrel" handgun, so the whole strip procedure was new to me, but once you get the hang of it (& don't hit the trigger!), it's really just as easy as your regular "browning" type action guns to strip.

Great site! Thanks again, mitchr!!!!!

mitchr
08-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Your welcome Dman708. Don't ask me how I know about that problem & the fix. :o

You should give us a look on a sister site, Bersa Chat. A lot of Bersa owners with extensive knowledge about Bersas, as well as other brands/platforms.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php