PDA

View Full Version : Bersa 85 +P Capables?

Brent Stewart
09-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I have a model 85 but have been unable to determine if capable of firing 380+P. Help?

michael t
09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
First officially THEIR IS NO +P IN 380 NO MATTER WHAT AMMO COMPANY SAYS .
+P is set by SAAMI

SAAMI | Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute
An association of the nation's leading manufacturers of sporting firearms, ammunition, and components. Currently publishes more than 700 voluntary standards ...

They are one who have always determined what is and what isn't +P Because they write the specs for+P. Their has never been a 32 acp +P 380 acp+P . So in real life its mostly, just ad hype . If your talking BB ammo Its not If anymore really hotter than Corbon. Which meets . SAAMI. Bullets need tested head to head over same clocks using same pistol. That fair. To read brand X claims and compare to brand Y claims. Proves nothing . Corbon DPX fired over clocks from Bersa Thunder went 1050fps over same equipment in a older PPK/S same ammo topped slighty over 1100FPS. Tighter barrel on walthers likey the difference.
Magtech 380+P isn't close to Corbon over the clocks in any head to head I have saw. . I also have never been able to get Magtech HP to expand in any caliber Ive tried.
So whats the answer I stick to ammo made by members of SAAMI who don't try hype to make a sale .
If you Bersa is in good shape it should feed and fire any quality 380 HP made by Corbon ,Federal ,Winchester, Hornaday , Speer . Their is no magic bullet its your accuracy in placing the rounds . If you do your part any of the above should work fine .
My self I use Corbon DPX in all 5 of my 380's . If I can't get DPX then Corbon 90gr JHP , or Speer Gold Dot

Now I am sure their are re loaders who have loaded their 380 to unreal pressure. Like 9MM range. But Iam talking quality produced ammo. I have never shot home rolled reloads in any of my pistols. Remember if you do and blow up your pistol their is no warranty .

Jaime
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Buffalo Bore (www.buffalobore.com) makes +P loads for many calibers including .380 cal. Their 100gr hard cast lead flat nose is the most powerful commercially loaded .380, and it is +P rated.

Packs more punch than Corbon's DXP.

OysterMan
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
+P is set by SAAMI

They are one who have always determined what is and what isn't +P Because they write the specs for+P. Their has never been a 32 acp +P 380 acp+P . So in real life its mostly, just ad hype .. What he said...

Jaime
09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Wrong - Buffalo Bore loads the only +P .380 that I know of, and it IS +P. Contact them if you have any doubts.

mitchr
09-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Wrong - Buffalo Bore loads the only +P .380 that I know of, and it IS +P. Contact them if you have any doubts.

I didn't realize there was an industry standard which would tell them what +P is? There is one for 9mm, etc. & manufacturers must meet that standard to be able to claim their ammo is +P. I guess, since there is no standard for .380, a manufacturer can make a round a little hotter than normal & call it +P?

michael t
09-30-2010, 02:10 AM
He can call it rocket P is he wants but fact is SAAMI sets the standards for the Firearm and ammo industry and has since 1926 or 27. They have several 100 company's members If he doesn't belong and I don't think he does. He can say what he wants. But remember warranty on firearms are based on the SAAMI approved ammo. That one reason company won't warranty reloaded Who knows how hot it is,

But lets look at a BB+P His ad says 1150fps 220 ftlbs for 32 acp 75gr in +P
in the text if you read he has the following
A. Berretta Mod. 70, 3 inch bbl.- 1001 fps

B. Kel Tek, 2.5 inch bbl - 910 fps REMEMBER THIS NUMBER !!!!!!

C. Seecamp, 2 inch bbl. - 856 fps

We won't use his ad numbers we will use a private test .

goldenloki.com has tested his 32+P in a KelTec over clocks and in jello not all that impressive to me

Buffalo Bore +P 75 gr 914 fps 139ftlbs 15.5 inches penetration. expansion none .307 (4fps faster than his ad)
Geco 73gr 947fps 145ftlbs 14.2inches none .306
S&B 73 gr 912 fps 135ftlbs 13,5 inches none .306
Fiocchi 73gr 859fps 120 ftlbs 15 inches none .306

Seems regular ball ammo has pretty close to same results and FPS and FTLBS Target ain't going to know difference I promise human or paper.

Corbon 60gr HP 1008fps 135ftlbs 8.2 inches and expanded .435. All test were in calibrated Jell and used KelTec P-32

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

This man is a respected gunsmith and his tests are very fair.

Test Protocol

The gelatin is 100% pure from Kind & Knox. It is mixed to 10% and calibrated using a .177 BB at 590 fps to a penetration range of 7.5 - 9.5 cm. A minimum of 3 rounds (unless otherwise noted) are fired into the gel from a distance of 3 feet through two layers of loosely layered denim.

Jaime
09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
From Buffalo Bore's website (FAQ):

Can I shoot your +P 380 auto ammo in my LCP?
Yes you can. Gun makers often warn against using any ammo that is not SAAMI spec. and there is no SAAMI spec. for the 380 auto+P cartridge. Gun makers do this to protect themselves from any liability in our super litigious American society. Buffalo Bore and others have tested our 380 auto+P ammo in the LCP and many LCP owners currently shoot our +P ammo in their LCPs and we've never heard of any problems from the "power" or "pressure" of the ammo, but obviously the use of +P ammo in these little guns should be limited to just enough to test reliable feeding and point of impact, then carry the ammo in your LCP in the event you need it, but don't go plinking with it.

So get over it, if you want the hottest .380 acp, their 100gr Hard Cast is it!

michael t
09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Gun makers often warn against using any ammo that is not SAAMI spec. and there is no SAAMI spec. for the 380 auto+P cartridge.

so he admits no +P but he advertises his ammo as +P This thread going no where and is over